My Saturday in Hongdae

Text log 121019

CAM00232.jpgCAM00233.jpg
CAM00272.jpgCAM00230.jpg
If by now, you’re wondering what’s going on…
CAM00246.jpgCAM00251.jpg
CAM00258.jpgCAM00294.jpg
…this is a Trick Eye museum in 홍대 Hongdae  
More like an optical illusion museum…
CAM00266.jpgCAM00192.jpg
CAM00327.jpgCAM00314.jpgCAM00306.jpgCAM00203123.jpgCAM00347.jpg …and ice museum in the same building.

asdfasdf.JPG

On the right is a sticker photo, which I didn’t know what it was until my friend HyunHee took me there xD
They’re like those booths in the American malls except after taking the photos, you edit it with a bunch of cute stuff. The concept is Japanese and practices Korea’s love of 셀카 (selfies) ^-^

And while I’m on the topic of photo-taking —
In Korea (and probably other Asian countries), the phones cannot have the shuttersound turned off when you take photos – even when headphones are plugged in. This is because there are creepy folks out there who stalk people on subways and stuff — so phone developers made it so that people can hear when someone take a photo. 
Of course, you can get around this easily: there are those free photo editing apps that access the camera, in which case, don’t use a shuttersound. So then you think, why don’t people use this as their primary camera because the shuttersound is annoying ?? It’s kind of a polite thing to use the standard camera ; people may get suspicious as to why you use the silent camera in the first place, 
know what I mean ?

Below is the atmosphere of a hookah bar I went to after the museum. So I’ll talk about smoking and drug use here. First, Koreans are known to smoke cigarettes a lot – males and females – in and out of the city. The Europeans here who want to quit refuse to quit here because the prices are so much cheaper — at about $2.50 a pack, you can’t blame them. 
20131207_184737.jpgAnd in terms of drug use – there really isn’t any. Mom often tells me to be safe… I respond with “Mom, America has guns and drugs. I might be safer here.” You can feel safer going to clubs and bars and concerts with the lack of drugs. From what I’ve heard, the only way to find them is to maybe find someone in the American military. So I think going to a hookah bar here is different from going to one in the States – because the ones here have less of …how do I say this…  a 4/20 nuance. :3
20131206_120504.jpg20131203_172843.jpg
Above on the left is a Korean dish called Cheese and Rice, with bacon and some veggies (you know, to give the entree a purpose). And then on the top right is a caramel macchiato and tiramisu because tiramusi is my favorite dessert >< 
20131207_211643_Richtone(HDR).jpg

PicsArt_1386560442192.jpg
This post, I’ll show you what I see at jazz bars:
The Burgundy actually consists of only a singer and pianist/accordionist with a different bassist, drummer, and guitarist every session. 
This last weekend was the second time I saw this duo – and at the same place~
Pictured on the left is the drummer (not pictured above) because he totally looks like Korean Joseph Gordon-Levitt. ㅅ_ㅅ
It’s pre-finals week ; I’m gonna try to upload again sometime next week ; blogging helps me unwind =3                                 …even though I didn’t write much this post~~

I hope y’all have a good finals week ! =D Or that it doesn’t go too horribly
~Ry

This blog has been brought to you by the letter “Hong”
and
양반김 Seaweed snacks

Location: Milky Way Galaxy

5 thoughts on “My Saturday in Hongdae

1. SEUNGHYUN PYUN

our study aborad is over ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

nice that you had a good experience.

by the way, im Korea now haha.

you have been to place that i never heard of, but looks so interesting.
    i guess you know more about Korea than me. haha

2. RYAN NICHOLAS BUSONY

Hi Lisa !

Yes the ice museum was really cold so the sculptures don’t melt ; everyone rushed to take photos and get out ^-^

~Ry

3. LISA ANN SAMPSELL

Aww…I want to go to the Trick Eye(and Ice) museum! It looks like you had a lot of fun! Was it cold sitting in the ice car?

Cheers,
    Lisa Sampsell

4. LISA ANN SAMPSELL

Cheers,
    Lisa Sampsell