Classes, friends and Romans

Bon jour, mes amis!

Another full week of classes and there is plenty of homework to be done!  Three papers and a test due for next week, as well as lots of reading, and I’ve already had two papers that were due this past week and last week.  If anyone thinks a study abroad means all play and little to no work, you might want to rethink that one!  But, it’s all good because I am learning a ton!  This weekend, I am planning to catch a few local sights like the roman baths and the ruins of the arena.

Thumbnail image for Arena.JPG

So, I decided to get a manicure this week for the first time in literally….years!  There is a salon right down the street from IES so it’s very convenient.  I love blue, so that’s what I went with…what do you think?

I had to move homestays this past Tuesday, and while it was a bit stressful, my new host and hostess are great!  Very welcoming and funny and my room is huge!  Hello humongous mirror!  It’s less than a 5 minute walk to the Champs-Elys�es and my metro station.  It’s also about 20 minutes closer to IES by metro than where I was before.

Most of the other students at IES are starting to make travel arrangements for our 5-day break in early November, however, I have decided to stay in Paris and get my final papers done and a jump on studying for finals.  There is still plenty to see in Paris, the tourist crowds will have thinned considerably and yes, I am a dork when it comes to studying.  Plus, my daughter is coming for a vacation at the end of the semester, so I’m saving everything for when she gets here.    

Thumbnail image for IMG_1087.JPG

More pictures of the ruins and the roman baths,

which are in the Cluny museum:

My host dad took me to a food market near the St. Denis Basilica.  The building was huge and there were all kinds of food vendors:  butchers, bakers, (no candlestick makers :(), fruits, veggies, seasonings, seafood…it was great!  Although I could have done without some of the smells.  What do you think of my little friend?

Well, time to go study for my exam and finish proof-reading my paper.  Wish me luck!

Mary

Location: Paris, France