Day 3 – Life in Hangook

Text log 82508

Hangook means “Korea” — just for the record. Kinda like the tires.

Two days have passed and asldkfjalsdfj what an amazing time. I only have internet access in WiFi spots only so it’s been hard to post. Also, right now, I’m on a public computer so I can’t post any pictures yet. -_-

So the plane ride was okay torture — What do I expect ; it was 15 hours ! I got sleep on the plane — maybe ~8 hours, but it was like

1 hour of sleep,

then wake up to a crying baby,

stay up for an hour,

fall back asleep in an awkward sitting position,

repeat. 

I was expecting like 4 hours of consecutive sleep, nomnoms break, and 4 more hours.

Let me summarize my trip so far and in other posts I’ll have some discussions:

I arrived at the Incheon airport at 3pm KST on Friday. My friend Byungjae helped me get a bus and we left Incheon into his hometown Gimpo. There, I met his parents and I had one of the best meals eveeeeeeeer~~ It was very stereotypical: Walk in, take off your shoes and let them sit on the floor, find a table (tables’ heights are maybe a foot and a half from the floor), and sit cross-legged on a cushion. The food was heaven… pork barbecued on a grill in the center of the table while the waiters bring out maybe 12 different small plates of sides. [Again, sorry I don’t have pictures today T.T). Pretty typical that you drink some Soju (Korean vodka) with your meal; it’s considered rude if you don’t accept it. Great time it was ^_^

We went from Gimpo to Bucheon (which all of these cities are West of Seoul) to meet his friend downtown. Wow, talk about nightlife~ and I haven’t even been in Seoul yet ! The three of us went to a restaurant downtown in this neon-lit street. The restaurant was interesting — they assign you a small room that has booth seats and a table; pretty small room. On the booth there’s a buzzer that calls the waiter over to you. I thought it was pretty cool. The food, I guess, were slices of cooked ham on a bed of cabbage or lettuce with honey mustard and bbq sauce (I think) drizzled on top. Again, MORE Soju, along with standard Korean drinking games — nothing like America, but I’ll discuss it later… I’m running out of minutes on this public computer 

I spent the night at Byungjae’s apartment and went to Daegu next morning by bus at 7am, where I met Yoonchan, my other friend whom I met at Penn State. We went to E-World, an amusement park (again, pictures… later.). Later that night, we went over to Busan, which in my opinion so far is the Florida of Korea — located on the Southeast part of Korea.

Right now, I’ve been in a jjimjilbang (Korean spas/saunas where many people spend the night — yeah, a bit odd, but it’s about 10 dollars a night, so what the heck) since 9pm last night.. still trying to get over jet lag. I plan on staying in Busan the rest of the day, and tomorrow I’m off to Daejeon in central Korea to meet my friend Dahye.

I’m outta time — gotta split

~Ryan

This blog has been brought to you by the letter “Han”

and

Hankook Tires

Location: Jjimjilbang in Busan

One thought on “Day 3 – Life in Hangook