Bienvenidos a Santiago!

Hola a todos! I have finally arrived in Santiago, Chile after a four day flight delay which included me spending half a week at a hotel in Atlanta, Georgia. I did miss most of my orientations and tours of the city which is bittersweet because now I can take exploring the city in my own hands.

Today would be third day here but it seems like I have been here for much longer. The first day that I have arrived, I took a 4 hour long diagnostic Spanish exam and then went out at night to an area called Plaza Nunoa. One thing that is extremely different in this country is that the nightlife starts at around 1 or 2 AM and the bars/clubs remain open till 5 or 6 AM. Chileans party all night long!
The second day my host family – which consists of a host mom and host dad who are more welcoming than I have ever expected – took me to the mall to get a Chilean cell phone so I can be in contact with them and the rest of my friends. They also threw me a “welcoming party” which was a small BBQ with the rest of their family. That night, I also went out to an area called Bellavista which is the popular party spot for all gringos and once again, I did not arrive home till 5 AM.
999815_10151616768608661_862462720_n.jpg
                       (We were on a rooftop patio in Bellavista – this is the view)
Today was my day to relax and I have been contemplating what I want to gain from this trip. Chileans foster independence and you are required to learn how to ride the metro and the bus and get from point A to point B by yourself which can be quite difficult in this HUGE city. So the first item on my agenda is to learn how to get around and orient myself with the different areas of the city. My second task will be to socialize as much as possible – to make friends with Chileans, to talk to every person I meet so that I can improve my Spanish and hopefully meet some new people. Lastly, I want to learn the history of Santiago – I want to visit all the historic places and museums and just roam around the city until I feel comfortable here.
It’s been a great couple of days! I’ll keep you guys updated on the upcoming week 🙂

Location: Provedencia, Santiago

One thought on “Bienvenidos a Santiago!

1. KATHLEEN ANN FOX

Hi Marta,

It sounds like your semester is off to a great start…except for the 4-day flight delay. YIKES! I wish you all the best during your time in Chile. Enjoy every single parillada, futbol game, and karaoke night that you can!

I was in Chile a few years ago teaching English in Tierra del Fuego (ask your host family how far away that is!!!). I know you will have an incredible experience and that the relationships you form with your classmates and host family will last a very long time. If you need any recommendations on traveling in the far south of Chile, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kate Fox
    Education Abroad Adviser
    Penn State
    kaf29@psu.edu