Hello England, What A Surprise!

Arriving to Brighton

Before arriving to Brighton from the London (Heathrow) airport, I was under the impression (from online weather reports) that the weather in Brighton was roughly warm to almost hot. But I was sure in for a surprise! Not only was it cold, but windy and rainy! My summer dress and carefully done hairdo were blowing wildly in the wind. I was grateful the bus system was easy to travel with in all that chaos. After getting out of the Heathrow airport, I was able to find a bus within a five-minute time period (apparently the buses ran every minute). I rode the bus from London to Brighton about an hour. After arriving at Brighton, I met some other students from the United States that were heading to the university. To my satisfaction, a college crew was there waiting at the bus stop to take us from Brighton to Falmer, where the university is specifically located. 
  I was very excited to see them because the rain, wind and cold had me very tired of trying to figure out how to get to my destination, I was overwhelmed after the bus ride. After thirty minutes on the bus from Brighton to Falmer, we finally reached the University of Sussex where we finished registration and were assigned our dorm rooms. Other than the weather, the other surprise in England was the architecture/design of the dorms that were very different than American designs. For example, the bathroom was not in the hallway (like in America), but rather in the room, next to the dorm room door. I loved this because I am fond of privacy and my own personal space. Other features of the bathroom (toilet, shower, sink) were also very different, but elegant in a way.

Outside, the buildings were also unique, with huge emphasis on brick buildings and glass walls. Other than the architecture, when I went walking around the campus, I found that there was a mass use of buses. Students and professors alike rode on buses rather than cars. The few cars I did see had a unique feature; the driver’s wheel was on the right-hand, rather than the left-hand side. Last but not least, the British accents were amazing! It’s interesting how although all of Britain speaks British English, one can still hear the distinct differences in the accents. A White British man has a different British accent from a Black or Indian/Asian British accent. Not voice, or tone, but the accent itself sounded unique with each person. All different, unique, surprising, but amazing experiences.

GEDC0233.JPG

First Week of Classes

My main objective for these blogs is to convey the English learning/teaching styles as they are, without relying much on stereotype. However, there has been more similarities to the American learning/teaching styles than differences. The class I currently take from June to July 18th is called “The London Look”, that I took as an art requirement and also because it seemed interesting. It is art in manner, it’s fashion, but it is also fashion history. How interesting is that! The class, in summary, teaches that every belt, purse, hairdo, shoe, dress, coat, shirt, hat, glove, has a history. The two teachers that teach the class discuss the history of fashion particularly in London and how these past fashions changed with time and influenced present-day fashions. The teachers are also historians themselves which makes the lessons more engaging.

Unlike the stereotype of the British learning/teaching styles to be rigorous, uncomfortable and with high expectations from students, this class was surprisingly relaxed. My classes this week in this course were from Monday to Thursday (Thursday being the last day during the week for class) and I arrived Monday very panicked that I did not know enough of the material to endure even the first day of class! However, the teachers treated the students like they were new to the material (which we were) and very carefully explained all the information we needed to know. I thought this was very similar to American learning/teaching; very relaxed and with less rigor, unlike the stereotypes of the British way. Another similarity was the use of Powerpoints to present the lessons to the class. Because of the stereotype, I expected to go to class Monday and see nothing but books all over the tables and students would read the books from beginning to the end of class. I expected very little contact between teacher and students. But was I wrong again! Both teachers had Powerpoints with pictures, along with lots of discussions and questions. I enjoyed all the class sessions for this week!

There were differences in the British and American learning system, but they still strayed far from the stereotypes. Unlike American college class periods, my class took Tuesday off to have a tour of London! My teachers thought it was good to visit the fashion capital of England to learn more about London Fashion. The class went to the Victoria and Albert Museum and saw fashions from 1700-1980’s. Both teachers would point at the displays and explain the clothes and the history/story behind them particularly as it was in London. It was a very interesting lesson. I had no idea so much history was behind a simple dress you buy from the store. Also, I did not know that what people wore “said” plenty about their prestige and class, but also about whether they were scholars, soldiers, or royalty. After the museum, one of my teachers, Alexandria, wanted to show us other famous sites of London. I finally saw the famous Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, Royal Albert Hall and so much more.

GEDC0136.JPG

GEDC0168.JPGGEDC0211.JPGGEDC0207.JPG   Some college students in America do not find traveling to London for a class lesson to be unique from American college class field trips, but this is different in that throughout the course, the class will travel to cities with famous fashion histories instead of being in a classroom to view them in pictures. According to the teachers, this is done even throughout the year for students in England. I love this type of learning, I never forgot a single information taught when I was in London. Another difference in the British learning system is that the class now is being taught by tutors! Yes, both of my teachers, Alexandria and Sarah, were not professors, but tutors! They were very knowledgeable about their fields that they were offered teaching jobs, which is very common in British colleges (according to our tutors). 
 GEDC0180.JPG
     I am very sure England has more surprises in store for me!

Location: London, England; Falmer, England