With Fewer Walls

May 11th,

Alajuela, CR

It’s hot, and it’s humid, and the showers are cold, and I love it.

2013-05-11 16.42.21.jpg

This is the first home stay of the trip. We’ve spent one night here already and only have one left, but it’s wonderful. Our host parents are kind and welcoming, and I’m pretty sure the houses here are perfect. They’re beautiful, like breezy flowers, cool and colorful sprouting up all over the country. At first glance, I think many people from back home make the mistake of thinking this country is a bit underdeveloped. They see these brightly painted houses with fewer walls than we are accustomed to in the US. They see the bug nets. They see the yards overflowing with large and wildly growing plants. 

flower yard.JPG

I am not guiltless in this, but it is important to remember that not all people live as you do. It’s fun and eye-opening to remind yourself that when you go to a different culture, you’re like a baby. It’s all new to you, and the people living here are seasoned veterans. Less walls and more nets let you get the breeze and the smells and the sounds. Vibrant paint colors make the streets lively and pleasant. Huge blooms of flowers and a healthy assortment of foliage give this place a naturally clean and earthy feel that, at least to me, is both invigorating and soothing. 

2013-05-11 20.05.23.jpg

This feeling is reflected in the everyday lives of the Ticos I have seen. There are less

walls between houses, and seemingly between people as well. Greetings are exchanged often. Neighbors sit outside and chat for long periods of time. Much like the weather, the people here feel warm. It’s only been a day and a night, but I really like it in Costa Rica. Maybe my parents won’t have to pick me up from the airport on June 11th. Just kidding, don’t panic mom.

Pura Vida amigos.

Sarah~

Location: Alajuela, Costa Rica