Hitchhiking, Road-Rage, Frozen Rivers, and the USSR: The Average Day in Leningrad

St. Petersburg (still referred to as “Leningrad,” depending on who you’re talking to) has a radically different day-to-day than the United States. Of course, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Some specifics, however, will get their elaborations in this post.

1) “I took a wrong turn in Russia, and I ended up in the Soviet Union.”

It sounds like a stupid thing to say, but it’s true. It is very possible to take a wrong turn in Russia and end up in the Soviet Union. I did, just last week. This (dated 2012) mural/graffiti hybrid glorifies the victory of the Red Army (and the Union in general), and behind it is a run-down Soviet-era factory, still productively churning out smoke from its towers. The past is still very much alive here, and it varies from street to street. Sometimes, it looks as if you were in imperial Russia. Sometimes, it looks to be the present. Sometimes, you’d swear you were in the Soviet Union. Pick a street you’ve never taken before, and it’s a matter of chance what era you’ll find yourself strolling through.

2) Crossing the frozen river.

Frozen Fontanka River.JPG

When I saw a woman playing fetch with her dog on the frozen Fontanka river, I thought she was a little nutty. But as I walked along and saw five more people doing the same, I realized that on the coldest days, the river becomes a sort of park. People cut across to take shortcuts, and couples walk down the centre holding hands. So I figured I’d take a stroll on the ice myself, heading west toward the Neva River and the Gulf of Finland.

3) Don’t worry, Boris, that’ll buff right out: Russian Road Rage

Russian Jalopy.JPG

In the 90s, you used to be able to bribe your way to a driver’s license. That being the case, a lot of people never actually passed avtoshkola (auto school), and that endless list of “Russian Car Crash” videos online is reality. The roads are very unsafe here, and I’ve had three or four close calls. Just yesterday, I saw a pedestrian almost get hit by a car. He promptly kicked the front of the car with his heel, which made the driver get out and fistfight with him. What can I say? It’s a rougher culture. But it is common to see cars zooming down the road with missing headlights or two smashed-in doors. Auto inspection, from what I can see, is very lax. But the crown jewel of Russian Autos is this jalopy I found along the Griboyedova Kanal. From what I can tell, before that front tire got blown out, the driver was taking this hot-rod around the city with a front-passenger door that was held on ENTIRELY WITH TAPE.

That also brings up ‘hitchhiking culture” of Russia. In the U.S., I would never think of hitching a ride with someone. But in Russia, I have already done it, because it is a convenient way of getting around. When the USSR fell, the state-run cab company went down the drain. So suddenly, opportunity knocked, and everyone started becoming freelance moonlighter-taxis to make a few extra roubles. If you’re looking out into the street for a cab, don’t be surprised if a normal car pulls over and its driver asks where you’re headed and invites you to hop in. That’s what happened to me, and I didn’t even have my HAND OUT yet – all I was doing was looking down the street. In America, I would never feel safe doing that, but in Russia, it’s routine operation.

Location: St. Petersburg, Russia

2 thoughts on “Hitchhiking, Road-Rage, Frozen Rivers, and the USSR: The Average Day in Leningrad

1. Michael Joseph Mattia

Well of course we have to judge the drivers accordingly. If it’s a very shady-looking setup, you should probably wave him off and wait for another.

2. ANDREW THOMAS GABRIEL

I’m not gonna lie, it makes me nervous to hear about your taking rides with random people … I can’t say that I’d encourage others to do the same, but since I’ve never been to Russia I’ll take your word that it’s routine. I’ll just say be careful and use your best judgment.