Home Stay with an Iraqw Family

Hey Everyone!Iraqw Home Stay.JPG

Yesterday I had the cool experience of spending a day with an Iraqw family.  Iraqw is one of the many tribes indigenous to the Tanzanian area and are traditionally agriculturalists.  Although they have not escaped western influence completely, many still keep livestock and maintain small farms.  The particular family I stayed with owns and runs a small duka (shop) but keep cows, goat, sheep, and chickens as well as farm.  Like the majority of Africa, they cook using wood fuel outside the house and have to walk a little ways to collect water.  All of us students were divided into pairs for the home stays so we were not completely alone for the day.  As soon as we were dropped off with our home stay family, they began making chai for us and we helped the best we could.  They spoke primarily Swahili but the children knew English pretty fluently and frequently translated for us.  When the chai was ready, they promptly gave me a glass and filled it to the very brim.  It was hot and delicious but as soon as I finished it (which was after a while) they promptly filled it to the brim again!  Not wanting to be rude, I took my time and finished that one as well.  After the chai, we began to help them to prepare lunch.  The daughter initially told me that cooking was a woman’s job in their culture and they didn’t know what they wanted me to do but I helped the best I could.  When lunch was ready we all sat down inside to eat….with our hands.  It was an interesting experience although a little unexpected but was kind of fun.  Lunch consisted of ugali, cabbage, and some beef.  Ugali is this mashed potatoe-looking substance which is really water mixed with corn starch and heated.  Not the most flavorful food but it’s the source of 90% of the calories they get here.  After lunch, we cleaned dishes and they showed us the tree they traditionally use to make ugali spoons (spoons used to mix ugali).  We didn’t really do a whole lot after that aside from make rice and eat more food with them.  Before we left for the day they made chai again.  Overall it was a pretty good day.  I was a little bit jealous though when I got back to camp and found out some students got to milk cows, herd cattle, and plough fields.  It was a really cool experience and I am glad I had such an interesting opportunity.

Until next time!

Location: Karatu

2 thoughts on “Home Stay with an Iraqw Family

1. STEPHANIE JEAN LAPPLE

Hey Robert!

Just getting caught up with your blog now, it seems like that experience in March was really unique and amazing! I hope the semester has been everything you hoped it would be.

2. Kasumi Hirokawa

Aww I wish I could do a homestay again! Sounds like a fun day! How long did you stay with them? Was there a special meaning in showing what the ugali spoon was made of?