From the Netherlands to Belgium

OK, readers, I’ve been keeping posts from you, but I am back and in writing action! 

Two weekends ago I went to Amsterdam. Never in my life have I experienced a city such as this. Now, I do agree with Sheryl Crow that every day is a winding road, but as far as faded signs go……the signs to the Red-light District could not have been clearer. You hear things here and there, but nothing is ever what it seems. Girls who appeared to be no older than 23 were selling themselves in the windows, some of them half naked, others more exposed. It’s sad to me, because in the U.S. this kind of behavior would be shunned (that is, if you are a female with respect for yourself), but in Amsterdam it’s like they are goddesses. 
Another shock: Cannabis. Again, nothing is what it seems. If you go to a “coffee shop” you are in for a surprise, because they are not just selling coffee (you can put the pieces of the puzzle together).
On a brighter and more educational note, I went on three spectacular tours: The Anne Frank House, Heineken Factory, and a tour via boat of the city. These three=Money well spent. 

P1010140.JPG

While on the canal boat tour, we had the luxury of listening to automated speakers that gave the tour in four different languages (Spanish, English, Chinese and Italian). I thought this was neat, as it accommodated the needs and expectations of those from different countries (like myself). The tour takes you past the 17th century merchants’ houses, several amazing churches and mesmerizing arched bridges. I also thought it was interesting that there were numerous house boats that lined the water. The tour took us past Central Station, where we were able to view the city from the original harbor. I would highly recommend a boat tour to those who are not in the mood to walk or want to see the entire city in one day. The boat allows you to get off and on as you please and the ride is relaxing. It even takes you to the Anne Frank house, which was my favorite stop of all. 
Inside Anne Frank’s house was a bookcase-door which marked the entrance to the unfurnished rooms of the annex, where Anne Frank and her family once lived. Each room tells a different story–from the prosecutions of the Jewish war, to pages of Anne’s diary and a video of her father, Otto Frank, who retrieved her diary years later after her death. A quote by Otto Frank that I will never forget: “You never truly know your children.” 

5391_10151346666178583_1651405258_n.jpg

Amsterdam, home of the Heineken headquarters, also has the most amazing “Heineken Experience” or historic brewery and corporate center.   It is four levels, with historical artifacts, interactive exhibits and even sampling opportunities. I was most amazed by the “how beer is made” ride, where you go to a room and watch a 3-D movie on the making of beer.  It’s almost like an amusement park ride, because the platform that you stand on while watching the movie moves with the 3-D scenes; It makes you feel like you are the elements that are being put together to form the beer. Anyway, it was an awesome tour and I would also recommend this to anyone that visits Amsterdam! 
Brussels: AH! What a fantastic time. I must say, I wasn’t that wooed by the city itself, but I did fall in love with the waffles and chocolate. The first night, my friends and I stayed in a hostel near Grand Platz– Maybe I didn’t see enough of Brussels, but I feel like Grand Platz was the only “happening” area in the city. I mean, I know it is the city’s center, but seriously, where was everyone? A question I would still like to know. The city was pretty quiet overall, and not many people seemed to be out.

Thumbnail image for 72609_10151338286833583_436102146_n.jpg

Visiting Brussels, home of the European Union, was a dream come true for my roommate who is a Political Science major. I, on the other hand, was not so thrilled, but since we were there the Parlamentarium was a must-see. The tour included headphones that allowed you to chose a language (similar to the boat tour), providing historical facts and even current issues and future challenges of the EU. 
<—–Parliament 

Thumbnail image for 598843_10151340608848583_2084843505_n.jpg

We also went to Delirium Caf�, a pub that holds more than two thousand different types of beers.—>
The second night in Brussels we stayed in THON Hotel, although we were not there for long. After we arrived, we realized we had an hour MAX to get ready for the one and only indoor electronic dance and music event, SENSATION! AKA: The only even that can keep me on my toes for nine straight hours. We had a bus pick us up from our hotel at 7 p.m. and take us two hours to the event, which lasted until 5:30 a.m. We didn’t leave until 7 a.m., and I have absolutely no idea how I survived. Perhaps a little sneak peak could explain: 
Next stop: Lisbon, Portugal!
Until next time, Hasta Pronto! 
-Becky

Location: Barcelona, Spain