Modern/Contemporary Art Amsterdam

This past week, I’ve mainly been working on homework and getting into the UvA grind. Classes have been picking up and it was time for me to catch up and start my papers. I did, however go to three different restaurant week reservations and the Stedelijk museum. Amsterdam has one week in March where you can reserve a spot at a four or five star restaurant and pay 27.50 euro each for a three or four) course meal. The first place I went to was called cTaste for “Dinner in the Dark”. It is a restaurant where you are led into a pitch black room where you are seated by sightless (legally blind) servers. A group of six of us ate in complete darkness and didn’t know what we ate until we were led back to the light again. It was a disorienting experience, but by far the most worth it out of the three reservations I made. The other two were Asian cuisine restaurants called Woo Bros. and Little Buddha. They were both excellent but were not as unique as the cTaste experience. I think I have definitely become more of a foodie  since coming to Amsterdam.

The Stedelijk museum was also a very new and interesting experience. The Contemporary art museum offered an insane look into the proliferation and talent of Mike Kelley. This new exhibit was often strange and disturbing, and at times wonderfully creative. Of course, on the lower levers of the museum where pieces by Van Gogh and Monet were housed, I felt I got a lovely range of amazingly beautiful artwork.

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2257.jpgIMG_2256.JPGIMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2247.JPGIMG_2254.jpg

Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

One thought on “Modern/Contemporary Art Amsterdam

1. ANDREW THOMAS GABRIEL

I’m jealous! I watched a show on the Travel Channel – or it may have been Food Network – about “Dinner in the Dark,” and it looked like a really cool and unique experience. I can’t remember if the show I watched was about the same restaurant you went to, but the concept is the same. It was funny watching people try to guess what they were eating – and usually being completely wrong! Those in the restaurant industry always say, “People eat with their eyes,” and Dinner in the Dark proves that to be true. Sight and expectations are such an important component of taste.