Sweet Treat

One thing that Denmark, and most of Europe for that matter, do absolutely perfect is pastries. I have made it my personal mission to try as many as I can while I am here studying abroad. Now this might not turn out very well for my waistline, but it is worth it. Every Sunday I go out to a little bakery and try something new. It has become a great ritual to look forward to every week. 

Copenhagen is dotted with hundreds of small bakeries that bake their delightful cakes and pastries fresh every day. It is my advice that anyone visiting here has to try the pastries. Most might say the French have them beat here, but I’m not so sure. 
One common pastry here is called wienerbr�d or Viennese bread. This is what we call a Danish. (on the right)
bakery.JPG

Another amazing pastry I have tried is a puffed pastry filled with cream. I don’t remember the exact name of it, but I will find out. The one I had was filled with raspberry and it was absolutely delicious! 
pastry.jpg
pastry2.jpg
Denmark has a bunch of pastries that are similar to cinnamon roles as well called Kanelsnegle. Do not be mistaken though. These are no cinnamon rolls from the refrigerator section of the grocery store! It is like nothing Pillsbury has ever come up with. 
pastry5.jpg
And one of the most amazing things I have tasted so far is…. the giant snail or k�mpe snegl. This is basically one of the largest cinnamon roll you have ever seen. I know I don’t have a picture of it, but I was spending my time eating it rather than documenting it. 
One last piece of advice. As far as bakeries go, there is one famous bakery in the City Center called Konditori La Glace. It is the oldest bakery in the country and has been around since the 19th century! This bakery is on the more expensive side, but once inside you will not be disappointed! Now there is usually a line that goes out the door so be prepared to wait a little bit. You know it has to be good whenever people are lined up for it. 
I hope this blog does not make you too hungry! 

Location: Copenhagen

One thought on “Sweet Treat

1. DEVON C SANTORO

Those pastries look amazing! I particularly like the look of those cinnamon rolls. Can’t wait to sample the chocolate and waffles in Belgium when I go this weekend.