Another Weekend in Barcelona

This post is way past its due date–I apologize to all of those who have been waiting to hear more!!

Thumbnail image for sitges3.jpg

CARNIVAL! This past week was Carnival, a weeklong celebration of events in favor of Lent.  It takes place the week before Ash Wednesday, and the most popular place to celebrate is a town just 40 minutes outside of Barcelona, in Sitges.  I went to Sitges on Fat Tuesday, and it was the most fun I have had yet.  Everyone is dressed in bright and exotic colors, masks and costumes (almost like Halloween), as they celebrate by watching the parade that takes place, dancing and singing.

sitges4.jpg

Recently for a class assignment, we were asked to reflect on the European culture and respond to the differences between the closest city to our hometown (for me, Pittsburgh) and the city of Barcelona. Not for a grade, but as a reflection, I had to put together the missing pieces of the puzzle–AKA what is so different from this culture compared to Pittsburgh? The typical, expected answers: The language…..the music….the food…..convenience of traveling…  etc., which are all answers that one should expect to find a difference in when traveling to a foreign country.

However, I thought about several other comparisons. My communications professor, who has parents both from Catalu�a and the southern part of Spain.  For those of you who aren’t aware–The rest of Spain is drawn back from Catalu�a, who wants to separate from the rest of the sovereign state.  

Our professor shares with us personal and appropriate (for the most part) stories every class, and as I listen to each lecture, I collect several quotes that are extremely powerful when acknowledging two comparative cultures. Here are just a few:

The first:  “If I want to go and teach my kids only Catalan, then I am a dictator.”

There is something so wrong, yet so true about this quote.  In other parts of Spain, such as the south, Catalans are looked down upon.  It is so strange to me that this sovereign state takes such a strong disliking to one another, almost like we in Pittsburgh do towards the Philadelphia Eagles. However, it’s not about teams.  It’s more than Real Madrid vs. FC Barcelona and Lionel Messi vs. Cristiano Ronaldo.  Catalans want independence.  Since they are overtaxed by Spain and feel like Franco (Spain’s previous dictator) treated them poorly, with the blessing of Spain they would like to be an independent nation. State schools in Barcelona are educating the kids in regular Spanish, just like during the times of Franco, when only Spanish was to be spoken. However, nowadays Catalan is a positive thing in Catalu�a, which is another reason why most Catalans would prefer to have independence, speak their own language, and separate themselves from the rest of Spain.

Another: “To know one language is not enough.”

This is another very different characteristic of their culture compared to ours. It’s embarrassing how Americans today–in general—only speak English.  Here, I have noticed that kids (professors, too) speak at LEAST three languages.  For example, the ones whom I have met speak Spanish, Catalan and English.  My professor also mentioned how his kids are taught Spanish and French in school, and at home they speak Catalan and Italian. This is a stereotype that we as Americans are known to have– to travel to foreign countries and expect them to speak English to us.  It’s like an Italian traveling to the states, expecting a cashier to speak Italian back to him. Not happening.

Lastly (with no relation to comparisons of cultures): “Computers and electronics rob your life without you noticing. Use the tool, don’t let the tool use you.” I am beginning to really like this professor. Wise and Witty. 

Moving on….

Thumbnail image for mt monjuic.jpg

MOUNT MONTJUIC–This past weekend I climbed Mount Montjuic with a few friends(one of the two main mountains in Barcelona that overlooks the city).  There are endless things to do and see. You first pass The Palau Nacional (National Art Museum of Catalu�a), and then several other areas along the way, such as soccer fields, parks, gardens, etc.  My FAVORITE out of all the stops was the Olympic Stadium that we passed (The Olympics were last held in BARCA in 1992). At the top of the mountain, the Castell de Montjuic sits, overlooking the Barcelona Pier. Fun Fact: The castle was originally built for the elimination of repression, but shortly after became a military prison. It is now a museum, with pictures and tragic stories that tell of the lives that were taken there.

olympics acquatic center.jpg
                                               Olympics Aquatic Center^

&
                                                    Olympic Stadium
Thumbnail image for olympic Stadium.jpg

Thumbnail image for tibidabo.jpg

MOUNT TIBIDABO– After an hour of climbing (or walking, rather), I made it to the top of Mount Tibidabo–the other main mountain in Barcelona.  It was a gorgeous sight to see, and once you are at the top, there is an amusement park.  Yes, I do mean AN amusement park, with roller coasters and all. After climbing to the top you are rewarded with not only the magnificent view and a beautiful church, but also several amusement rides in the midst of it all. If you aren’t a fan of exercise, there’s always the option of the small blue tram, or ‘Tramvia Blau’, that takes you to the top of the mountain.

tibidabochurch.jpg

Temple de Sagrat Cor 

(The top of Mt. Tibidabo)

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for climbing.jpg

TOMORROW, I run my FIRST (hopefully not last) � Marathon in Barcelona!!!! It must be the city of Barcelona that has given me this kind of motivation, because at home, I would consider myself nowhere near ready. I am in for a rude awakening, though I am excited as ever!!

Hopefully I make it out of this 1/2 Marathon alive. Until I do, and for now, it’s Hasta Luego!

-Becky

Location: Barcelona, Spain