Stephanie, Mom and Yiayia: The Three Generations In Ireland!

Mom texted me this morning, February 13, to assure me that she and Yiayia had found their way back to the Galway Train Station. They are now traveling back to Dublin to conclude their week extravaganza in Ireland! Thanks to them, we had perfect weather for the 5 days they were in Galway. They brought the sunshine and kept out the winds of Galway; I told them many times that they could not believe how “nice” the weather was compared to how it has been! Thank you for that.

On Thursday, February 7th, Yiayia and Mom landed in Dublin early in the morning and were on a mission to stay awake in order to create a regular sleep schedule. In a daze, they navigated the new land and settled into the hotel. I was proud of them for keeping themselves busy all day. You can always count on the two of them to find the mall to spend some time at. Thanks to dad, I know how lovely the Shelbourne Hotel is, and I was happy to hear they ate lunch in the hotel and were directed to a theater at night to see a play. Whether they stayed awake in it remains questionable, however I trust them. We have Yiayia to thank for spending time in Dublin because when she went to exchange her money, they made an error in counting their money and she “hit the jackpot.” Mom and Yiayia wouldn’t realize this until later, and overall it was a sign for a good week to follow.

waiting for tour.jpg

Friday, Mom and Yiayia were very excited to take the train to Galway where they would finally see me! I met them at the Galway train station at 12pm, and the sun was shining! They each had 1 suitcase, so I had known they packed well. The Meyrick Hotel was located right around the corner from the train station, so I walked them to their hotel and to the heart of Galway in “Eyre Square.” This was a perfect location and easy for me to get back and forth from my apartment and campus.

Friday afternoon I introduced the girls to “Shop Street,” Galway’s signature area of shopping and restaurants. We had a Panini at “Elle’s Cafe” and they were immediately captivated by the quaintness and character of the town. Because the weather was so nice, I told them we had to take pictures by the Galway pier with the water and sunshine in the background. After, I led them to my campus where they sat at Starbuck’s during my only afternoon class.

Friday night, we found a restaurant “Maxwell’s Bistro” on Shop Street and cheered to a fun week ahead of us. A busy weekend waited. Saturday, we took a 6 hour bus tour throughout the national park of “Connemara” which is north of Galway and very famous for its western rural atmosphere and home to the heart of the potato famine. This land is extremely hilly and marginal. Yiayia held her breath as the large tour bus barely navigated the small, winding roads. When you turn the sharp corners, you say a prayer thinking you are going to go over the cliff. The Connemara tour takes you through the town of “Cong” where the film “Quiet Man” was filmed, Yiayia had seen it. On our tour, we were all graced by 2 wild Connemara ponies along the road. They looked like unicorns! The final destination of the Connemara tour is at the Kylemore Abbey, built more than 100 years ago, originally a castle, now turned into an Abbey and former girls’ school. This was Yiayia’s favorite part of the trip and she made many comparisons to “Downton Abbey”, her new favorite show. We envisioned the servants preparing the house and ladies sitting in the sitting room, just as they do on the show or would have in the 1800s. Again, the rain stayed away! Just a few clouds. The tour arrived back in Galway at 6 and we proceeded to a fabulous dinner at the original Spanish Arch on Galway Bay.

steph mom yiayia.jpg

steph pony.jpg

poniesass.jpg

yiayia abbey.jpg

Sunday came quickly as we all got up and met at the tour station once more to go on another 6 hour bus trip, this time to the Burren and Cliffs of Moher, south of Galway on the ocean. Another sunny day! The land of the Burren and cliffs is extremely different from the lands of Connemara. Instead of a mountainous, boggy region, the Burren is all limestone. We observed the ancient burial grounds of the Burren and enjoyed a nice lunch in the small town of Doolin, outside the cliffs. Yiayia and Mom especially like the manmade stone walls and cottage imagery. By now, they were really figuring out the history of the famine and the culture. Our tour guides/bus drivers provided great commentary each day. For lunch at the pub, Yiayia had her new found favorite soup, Potato and Leak. Soup was the highlight of the weekend, and the two of them are going home in search of Irish soup recipes accompanied with brown bread. Don’t worry, Yiayia and I still ordered chocolate cake for dessert, even in the pub.

The weather was barely holding on at the Cliffs of Moher. When the wind picked up, Yiayia found the gift shop while mom and I looked over the edge and out onto the Atlantic. After some quick pictures and a lot of shopping, we were happy to head back to Galway once again after a long day of being tourists. Tired and hungry, we ate in the hotel bar and enjoyed another wonderful meal after a long day of exploring the country side. I was depressed that I had to wake up and go to classes on Monday, so I said goodnight to them and remained thankful that we still had 2 full days together.

yiayia burren.jpg

ocean 3 people.jpg

cliffs with mom.jpg

cliffs castle.jpg

(Yes, I took that picture!)

Monday was finally our chance to spend a day in Galway. However, we were on a mission! I had bought a ticket to go to the “Art’s Ball” on Wednesday, and waited until Mom and Yiayia came to shop for a dress and shoes. Of course, because we were having the perfect week, we found a dress in no time in the Eyre Square Shopping Center which gave us lots to choose from. How fun, shopping with your mom and Yiayia in Ireland! Yiayia and mom were continuously mesmerized by the resources and shopping available. My mom also bought me a special “claddaugh” ring for my birthday which is the traditional Irish Love, Friendship, and Loyalty ring. This is very special to me because it is from Galway! We had a nice lunch at “Griffin’s Bakery” which had all homemade bread products and desserts. After I left them for class, we met once again at night for dinner in the hotel dining room.

At this point in their stay, I told my mom she HAD to go to an Irish Pub…. It would not have been right if she did not. So, waiting until 9:30 at night like all the rest of the town, we set out for the pub. Mom had her first Guinness and I had my usual Smithwick’s and we listened to the live Irish music, which plays daily! This was the day the pope resigned, so we could at least watch those highlights on TV. In the pubs, they show constant soccer or “football” and Gaelic sports. None of us have ever missed watching American football or basketball so badly. Mom enjoyed her true Irish pub life experience before going back to bed.

Our last day, Tuesday, was different than the other days because I had a class in the morning. Instead of meeting them for breakfast, I went to class and met the girls after at 1:00. Mom and Yiayia once again, having the perfect trip they did, signed themselves up for half off spa treatments on Monday and Tuesday! I think their bodies needed it after all the things I had them doing…

We had lunch at a pub so this time Yiayia could get her Galway-Pub experience, although we were sad knowing it would be our last time together. Little did we know, the best part of the trip was right around the corner. While walking up and down Shop Street, I reminded Yiayia that I wanted to take her for a gelato or ice cream. Forgetting that Yiayia had never experienced Italian gelato before, bringing her into the gelato shop was like watching a kid on Christmas morning. Yiayia was in awe of the display, texture, variety of flavors, and of course the delicious taste. The big joke was that we brought Yiayia all the way to Ireland and the ice cream was her favorite part. Another great afternoon full with laughs and memories!

yiayia icecream.jpg

After a nice dinner down the street from the hotel, I said goodbye or see ya later to Yiayia and Mom after a wonderful visit. I cannot believe I have been here for almost 2 months already, the time is flying. I assured them that I am more than settled here in Galway and do NOT want to come home! My mom said that she was going home to tell everyone that in the future, when my kids study abroad, they are going to be studying abroad in America, because we will be living in Ireland! God only knows. In the mean time, I had a lot of fun at the Arts Ball last night which was at a hotel in Galway. See the pictures of my fun dress! All the pictures were from the pre-party before the ball.

arts vall 2.jpg

arts ball 2.jpg

arta ball 3.jpg

Tomorrow, Friday, I am going on a group field trip weekend to Kerry County, southern Ireland which is supposed to be beautiful! I am excited, but have barely had time for anything! When will I ever do my homework????? Next week I am going into lock down mode. Thanks again to Mom, Yiayia, and my family for the time of my life! Glad to hear you made it back safely. Come back soon. Love you all! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Location: Galway, Ireland

One thought on “Stephanie, Mom and Yiayia: The Three Generations In Ireland!

1. ANDREW THOMAS GABRIEL

The Irish landscape is incredible, and I love all the pictures you include in your blogs. The last picture you posted of the Cliffs of Moher barely looks real … it looks more like a painting! That is really nice that your mom and Yiayia (is that Greek?) were able to come visit you; your Yiayia is adorable! Keep up the blogs it has been fun reading!