Tales up to now.. PART 2

So we had finally made it to the Mito Hotel, and while we had some minor communication setbacks with the front desk staff, we managed to make it to our rooms without any major setbacks. The rooms were so small, and there were slippers that were more than half my shoe size (I wear about size 10), it was crazy. Also the bathroom was like a little capsule, it had a drain on the floor and was so very tiny. That night I slept very soundly, if it was up to me I probably could have slept for 20 hours. Unfortunately we had to be up at 9 am bright and early to be ushered to our rooms at the International House.

The following morning, Kyle and I decided to take advantage of the complimentary breakfast. It ended up being a small buffet. That morning was the first we both tried Natto, the fermented bean that Mito City is famous for. It was definitely an experience, the first taste was like rotting garbage (not an exaggeration) but as the weeks went on I would slowly find myself acquiring a taste for this unique food (and I mean slowly). 
Two students met us after breakfast and we took a cab to the International House where we were met by a couple more students who showed us our rooms and walked us through the never ending supply of paperwork.
Other foreign exchange students began filtering in throughout the day and together we just continued to fill out more and more paperwork, a never ending stream that would continue throughout the next week or so. Eventually though, I was able to settle in, buy necessary supplies, and finally start to feel at home in this far away land. 

Location: Mito, Ibaraki, Japan

One thought on “Tales up to now.. PART 2

1. SHELBIE LEE MCCURDY

A huge part of this experience is living like the natives and eating their dishes, which can be very hard depending on where you go. But, I believe that anyone who decides to study abroad, like we are, should be open-minded about trying foods that we are not accustomed to. I give you a lot of credit for eating food that tasted like garbage (in your opinion). I’m sure you now feel some sort of accomplishment for finally acquiring a taste for their dishes. While I have been in the UK, I have tried foods that I would never eat in the US, such as, rabbit, fagots, and pheasants. Enjoy the rest of your semester!