Studying while Abroad

This week was a reality slap to the “study” part of studying abroad.

I had two large projects due that most students worked on during the semester break. With my traveling the entire break, I obviously had a lot of making up to do. So, it was quite a stressful return and beginning of the week, but I got through it (hardly).

In fact, I ended up having to skip class to spend more time in the computer lab in an attempt to program a code that was just not going my way. I ended up meeting up with one of the students at uni whom I kind of knew from tramping club (and by knew I mean facebook friends) to help me out. He was so eager and enthusiastic to help me out and did a great job teaching me and asking me questions to help me get through the assignment. While I wanted to be doing anything but this code, I was excited to make a new friend, especially him, because, to me, he is the ultimate Kiwi. He is extremely adventurous and has travelled NZ through and through doing incredible hikes and other outdoor challenges; he has given my friends and I some great advice for the remainder of our stay.

That said, I often get called out for taking uni too seriously while abroad. While many people are taking the easiest classes of their college career, I am continuing my engineering studies as I would back home. When I was deciding to study abroad, I did have to consider whether I would actually be able to enjoy myself if I chose to enroll in a semester no lighter or easier than at PSU. In the end, I figured it’s worth it and I still feel that way.

Even if I’m putting in a bit more time and effort than my international friends here, and maybe spending awhile longer in the library and computer lab than is expected, I have found it makes me feel good about the entire experience. Some of my friends here are at a bit of a loss as they feel unchallenged and bored in their classes. It frustrates me when people then judge the university as being so much easier or worse than their university at home when their course selection here does not compare with what they normally take at home.

I have been very pleased with my uni education here so far. I don’t have scantrons; I have built relationships with my professors; most of all, I have developed relationships with other students. It’s awesome to meet all the international students, but it’s also exciting to get to bond and immerse myself with Kiwis. From group projects, to cramming in the library, or finishing up a computer project, I have met so many people in the faculty of engineering, here, who make me feel at home. The engineering students here are incredibly tight-knit  (even though the school is huge), and so, while I certainly stand out like a sore thumb to them, they have all been incredibly kind and helpful and a key part of making my experience abroad memorable.  I think the places I see and activities I do are tremendous, but ultimately, it’s the diversity of people I am meeting here, and lessons I learn from talking to them and observing them, that truly make my experience unique.

Location: Auckland, NZ

3 thoughts on “Studying while Abroad

1. LAUREN MARIA TUSAR

I completely understand where you’re coming from when it comes to classes. Im studying in Spain and I decided to take all my classes in Spanish to challenge myself, while other students have chosen to take classes in English. In the end I think challenging yourself will be the more rewarding experience! Good luck with everything!

2. SHELBIE LEE MCCURDY

That’s great that you are enjoying yourself while studying abroad! Do not worry about what all the other students are doing. You should take the classes that you want to, even if your classmates are taking easier ones. I have that issue too. I am focused on my schoolwork more so than the others, but at the end of the day, it is what matters to you. I’m sure you will be satisfied with your choices in the end of it all. Good luck!

3. ANDREW THOMAS GABRIEL

I’m glad to hear you are having a great experience in NZ, and I agree that taking challenging courses should be considered an integral part of the study abroad experience. True, no one wants to spend all their time in a library while they are studying in a foreign country – there is so much to do, so many new places to explore and new people to meet – but in the end taking these courses will be more rewarding, personally and professionally. I enjoy reading your posts, and I look forward to the next one!