July 2nd & 4th…but not the 3rd

So, I may never have experienced July 3, 2012 because of the dateline, but, hey, what can ya do?

Kia ora,

Or hello/greetings from NZ

In advance, sorry for the length.

I’m sitting at the desk that will be mine for the next five or so months. It’s hard to sit myself down to write right now but know it I need to stop and take a moment to absorb my trip so far. Luckily, it’s raining a good bit on and off so that is allowing me to stay in for a bit. First off, I am still unable to get internet- so, sorry Mom and Dad; I’m safe! I am the only person in my “flat,” or apartment so far. I am glad I am able to get established, unpacked, and comfortable before my other flatmates join me.

Anyways, starting from leaving my home in Solon, OH. It’s weird to leave your house knowing it won’t be there when you come back. It was sad to say goodbye to my room and home where I have so many memories but I realized I had to look ahead to the more positive future.

(Figures, now it’s sunny-it’s like I’m still in Cleveland where the weather changes every 5 minutes.)

I finished up my packing- it only took the strength and hands of my mom, dad, and myself to shut each of my suitcases, and headed to Hopkins International. My bag weighed exactly 50 lbs, such a relief.

My first flight was the LA. I have flown to California many times before so I wasn’t too nervous. A woman asked me to switch seats so her Mom and her kids’ grandma could sit closer. I didn’t mind at all. But, I’m sure they felt slightly relieved and guilty when I ended up next to THAT baby, that baby who cries 4 of the 4 hour 22 minute plane ride. I could tell people were getting annoyed, but I oddly didn’t mind. The boy was absolutely adorable. In talking to his Mom (while giving him high fives to distract him, of course), I learned they were from Melbourne, Australia. She had a very atypical Australian accent, though, which I found interesting. I was immediately excited to be already encountering people from the area I was heading.

After that, I had what should have been a relaxing three-hour layover. But, in an airport like LA’s, where you must exit the airport, take a shuttle to another terminal, re-check-in, and go through security again, the layover turned out to be unexpectedly not-so-relaxing. Luckily, I had enough time to get a sandwich (it’s easy to forget to eat while traveling) and make some last-minute phone calls to my friends and family.

Then it hit me; I was about to get on the plane for 12 hours to New Zealand?! I have flown for maximum of 9 hours before, but something about 12 seemed very daunting. As I made my way to the back of the plane, I was at first a tad disappointed to see I was sitting with an older couple versus maybe a student in a similar situation. I instantly regretted any disappointment I felt because this couple was absolutely awesome. They were so eager and enthusiastic to hear about what I was doing and they told me they were from Nelson (on the South Island of NZ, but the wife used to live in NZ). We engaged in discussion for a while, but then, sans Benadryl or anything, I slept most of the plane ride. The man I sat next to was in disbelief I could sleep so well. Because the majority of the flight was dark, I knew I wasn’t missing any cool views. Also, the reason I have no plane-landing picture is because I couldn’t see anything out the window. Each time the plane hit violent turbulence (ALL the time, may I add), I clenched my eyes shut and just pretended it was bumps on a road (advice I got a few weeks back). The stewardess kept shoving me food, but on such a nauseating ride, I’m not sure how anyone could think about food. I took it to be polite and shared it with my seatmates. People on both planes helped me put my carry-on in the overhead bin as well as took it out without me even asking. It’s nothing hard to do but I was still impressed at people’s immediate kindness.

Some differences on the plane ride:

Everything was so happy and not as serious as American airlines. This made me both nervous and relaxed.

The bathroom was the NICEST airplane bathroom I have ever been in. It had a sort of mural on the wall and was super clean with music playing.

They talk A LOT over the speaker and are very thorough in addressing all different kinds of passengers.

Their initial safety video is so long and more of a joke than anything.

The stewardesses look high fashion and wear uniform, sophisticated buns

(It’s raining again)

At the end of the ride, the couple I sat with, Chris and Cluril? (his writing is sloppy), gave me their address, phone number, and email and said when I come visit Nelson, as I had planned to anyways, they would be happy to house me for a few nights and show me the best sites, especially for hiking (aka bush climbing??) –I was so excited and really hope to take advantage of this offer.

From Chris, I also learned two NZ terms:

He owns a gardening/yard business called “Gumboots” aka rainboots or galaches

The stewardesses offer hard candies at the end of the ride by asking, would you like a “sweet?”

I finally concluded that part of why Chris seemed so cool was that he COMPLETELY resembled Robin Williams (his look and accent/how he spoke) in “Goodwill Hunting,” one of my favorite characters and movies. I blabbed and told him. In response, he told me had seen it and said, isn’t that the crazy professor? I hope he was just kidding around because it really is a compliment!

After this ride, I went through customs and all that fun stuff which took about an hour. I found my driver, provided by the university, waiting for me and relaxed while waiting for two other boys. I met the two other boys, who both sound like their first names are Martin and whose last names differ by maybe one letter. They are friends from the same university in Germany where they both study Mechanical Engineering. Turns out we are all enrolled in a class together here, so hopefully I see them again as we forgot to exchange contact information…oops. We chatted and then it hit me; English wasn’t their native language. You may respond “no duh,” but, honestly, aside from their accent, I would have never questioned their ability to speak and understand until they explicitly expressed their nervousness about the language barrier. I love when one of them asked the driver which way the nightlife is after the driver told us which way the university is.

(It’s sunny now.)

They got dropped off first in a so-so looking apartment complex. Then, to get to where I’m living we went through a gorgeous park where I cannot wait to run. My walk to Uni is definitely going to be significant, but I am happy, for now, that I chose to live in this residence. I have my own room that I love. My “RA” seemed surprised when he unlocked the door to my room. He exclaimed, wow, this one’s larger than the others; this is like what I have. Now, it’s nothing extravagant but definitely comfortable and I’m beyond excited because my neighbor and I have our own balcony.

I still don’t feel like I am going to be here until November. I am not sure when everything will hit, but I shall certainly let you know!

P.S. There are more sheep than people in NZ. About 4:1, in fact. He believes if they evolve just a bit more, and then recruit milking cows to be their soldiers (another high population), the people of NZ could easily be overtaken.

Location: Auckland, NZ

One thought on “July 2nd & 4th…but not the 3rd

1. Chad Michael Hainley

Hope you have a good time in New Zealand! Pretty sure were experiencing the same weather pattern in Sydney that you’re going through right now haha.