Let’s wrap up

So the semester has finally come to a close for me! One of the best things about the end of something great and wonderful like a semester abroad is the chance to look back on everything we’ve accomplished and done.

One of the things i’m most proud of advancing on is my flower arrangement (ikebana) skills. I went into the class a bit hesitant, hearing things about the difficulty of the class, and worried about my own artistic ability. I found the class to be a lot of fun and it tested my imagination in new and refreshing ways. It was definitely one of my favorites this semester, and I lived every second of getting to work with flowers to put them into beautiful, appealing formations.

Here are some of my creations from this semester, including my final exam flowers, as well as the very last arrangement of the semester.

P1020696.JPG
P1020380.JPG
P1030436.JPG
P1030562.JPG

P1030625.JPG

A more personal goal I had set for myself starting from my very first full day in Japan was to try every single drink I could get my hands on. The general rules were to try unusual drinks, those unavailable in America, and similar brands but different flavors. Needless to say, I went to town on this mission, because Japan, as it so happened, was more than happy to provide. The interesting thing about the drink market in Japan is that while there are naturally a wide variety of brands and flavors that are constantly available, there is an almost weekly rotation of drinks otherwise. I could almost always find something new every week or so. So from lavender milk tea, to mint milk, to pink pepsi and kiwi flavored soda, my taste buds had quite the experience.

The final count? 122 drinks! Am I proud of myself? Absolutely. Thanks, Japan, for the amusing adventures.

Drink collage 2.png

As a side note, I have to say that having a small personal goal or mission made my study abroad so much more fun. It was like a fun side-project; I was always on the look-out for new drinks, peering into vending machines, poking my head through the drink section at convenience stores. It definitely made my experience all the more enriching, and I definitely urge other study abroad goers to set some goals from themselves, aside from academic. I know some people made sure to learn 5 kanji a day independently of the classroom, while others tried different kit-kats, or took a picture a day of something new or exciting. Give yourselves finish lines! It makes the road you’re traveling all the more interesting as a result.

Location: Nagoya, Japan