Two Months Until Germany!

Hi Readers!

My name is Abby Hudak, and I am an upcoming Junior at Penn State University. I’m majoring in Secondary Education English, with a minor in German…. which is why I will be studying abroad to Germany in July! I am sooo excited to travel to Phillips University in Marburg, Germany – I’ve never been out of the country before!

With every new experience, however, comes the nerves. Although I studied German all through high school and throughout 4 semesters of college, I would still not say that I am entirely confident with my speaking abilities. I can understand what is said if they speak somewhat slowly, but I’m always worried I won’t say the right thing back. I’m nervous to speak the language, and I really hope I can overcome that during my stay in Germany – especially because almost all Germans know English, it would be way too tempting to take the easy way out and use English.

Another goal I’d like to accomplish would be trying new foods. I’ve always thought German foods were gross, but I would like to be open-minded while abroad. Along with beer. Haha my dad told me I have to go buy a beer from McDonald’s while I’m there. He thinks it’s funny they sell it there.

Until then, I’m just counting down the days!

Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania