Waiting Anticipation

When I begin packing for a trip, whether it’s for a summer long job or an extended weekend at a friend’s house, I always forget either toothpaste, contact solution, or sunscreen. Generally, I’m a highly organized person, but there’s just something about the frantic (yet fabulous) fray surrounding an anticipated trip that makes me absent-minded enough to forget at least one key item. However, I’m determined to not leave for Qu�bec City without having everything I need for a successful trip (while still leaving plenty of space to bring a few souvenirs back).

“Why Canada?” you might ask. Well, for starters, I’ve never been to Canada and I think it’s time I get around to visiting our neighbors up North! I’m excited to see other parts of North America and hopefully get to experience some of the Canadian countryside as well.

Secondly, I have a passion for learning French; however, even after 18 college credits and several years in high school, I still am not fluent in the language. As a Comparative Literature major in an integrated five year B.A./M.A. program, French is my secondary language and one of my minors so I’m really eager to gain fluency.  In comparative literature, we talk a lot about differences in global contacts in regards to culture, language, literature, and society. My major interests in comparative literature focus on power dynamics and normative systems within cultural contexts as well as the different ways individuals can positively transgress these boundaries. I hope to gain a better global understanding while abroad in addition to expanding on my ability to effectively communicate in French.

I’m also pursuing a B.A. in Women’s Studies with a minor in Gender & Sexuality Studies so I have interests in understanding different cultural understandings of gender and sexuality. My undergraduate thesis was titled: “Rethinking Rigidity: Fluid Genders, Liquid Identities,” and I’m invested in expanding my knowledge in this area of study. While abroad, I want to learn more about gender and sexuality, either by exploring the educational resources available or finding the groups that are supportive of sexually diverse peoples. It’s interesting how culture can influence those parts of our identities so much; I want to see firsthand how Canadian gender dynamics function and the different expressions of sexuality that exist outside of American contexts. 

I leave for Canada on June 28. Roughly five weeks away and already, my stomach is full of anticipation! My excitement has manifested in daydreaming and excessive planning: I’ve booked my flight, paid for my tuition, and bought tickets for the epic 10 day music festival in July.

Just today, I began to make a list of things I want to bring:

• Toothpaste: Check.
        • Contact solution: Check.

And yes, I even remembered to order sunscreen online.

toothpastesolution.jpg

Always, Reva

Location: State College, PA