Touristy in Tokyo

To continue to trend of Tokyo (it was a busy vacation), Monday of Tokyo weekend was Disney Sea!

P1020907.jpg

There’s not really much to say about the park. It was a ton of fun. The general tourist-y, filled with children and grandparents sort of business. I got myself a postcard and some gifts for my host family. We rode 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Tower of Terror, and a few other rides. I rode Genie at the merry go round at Agrabah, held a bust of Harrison Ford, and ate a churro in the shape of Mickey Mouse’s head!

P1020916.jpg P1020904.jpg

The park itself is only 10 years old, and it shows. The workers are happy and dedicated to their jobs. The park’s decorations and design are flawless and impressive, especially the portion of Ariel’s Grotto, which actually looked like we were underwater.

P1020930.jpg

P1020935.jpg

There were fireworks. And the show of the night, Fantasmico, made me tear up, which was unsurprising, but it was truly very impressive; misted water was used as a screen for images, there was a huge electronic Maleficent Dragon, and a lot of singing. As per usual, Disney truly wasn’t my thing, but it was still a ton of fun and i’m glad we got to go. Many thanks to Steffany’s host mother for paying for my ticket!

P1020999.jpg

Tuesday was the last day in Tokyo, and basically the day to wrap up our affairs. We went early to Harajuku to explore it in proper weather, spent an hour and a half at karaoke, then finished up the night at Shinjuku again before taking the night bus again back to Nagoya.

P1030025.jpg

Tokyo was fun, absolutely. I am happy that I finally went, and finally experienced the city that Japan is known for most of all. But there was no fanfare, no awe and amazement. The city was full of bright lights and people, clubs and restaurants, karaoke and interesting characters, and lots and lots and lots of foreign tourists. To be sure, it’s a huge city. The transportation is difficult to wrap your head around and the maps difficult to understand. It was strange to finally experience Japanese people forcing themselves to speak English to me, assuming I cannot speak Japanese, rather than giving me a chance. It was unsettling to see so many tourists, and we all agreed that while Tokyo was amusing, we missed Nagoya.

562574_10150641951099716_632899715_9514107_1615523331_n.jpg

And it’s true. Nagoya is a perfect city for me. I cannot see myself living in Tokyo. I cannot even see myself going back to Tokyo anytime soon. I felt alienated and small in Tokyo. Truly like the American in Japan that has no business being in Japan whatsoever. By all means, I was treated politely in Tokyo, but it felt temporary and rushed, while Nagoya citizens are more interested in my study abroad status, my studies, rather than just my American citizenship.

It was good to be back in Nagoya. Thanks for the good time, Tokyo. It was been fun.

Location: Tokyo, Japan