Food!

I figured I should dedicate an entire blog on food around Europe.  Let’s be real, it’s one of our favorite things about traveling.  I didn’t get pictures of everything I ate, though I wish I did so I could show you all of them.  But, to be honest half the time I was so hungry or so excited to ear that taking the time to get a picture did not even cross my mind.  But anyways, here are some of my favorite foods.

Florence/ Italy: 

Of course, most people think of Italy as the “food capital of the world.”  I’d have to agree considering the first thing you associate with Italy is bread, olive oil, cheese, pizza, pasta, etc.  I figured I’d give some advice for people who are planning to study or at least visit.  The overall favorite panini place of us study abroad students is I Due Fratellini. It’s the best whole-in-the-wall panini place and it only costs 2.50-3 euro.  It is also on the same street as the “Jersey Shore Pizza Place” which is also good.  You may also be wondering where on earth  to get gelato considering there are hundreds in Florence.  My favorite is “Gelateria di Neri” on Via dei Neri.  If you want a not-so-typical gelato flavor, get Pistachio.  For some reason they are big on pistachio flavored things here.  It is GOOD. 

London:

London isn’t really known for its cuisine, but they are big on fish and chips.  I am generally not a seafood person whatsoever, but fish n chips is my exception.  We went to the “Sherlock Holmes Restaurant” near Trafalgar Square. Also, if you are visiting London and crave a little sense of home, there are in fact 2 Chipoltles in London.  Of course, we took advantage of that.

Spain:

Spain is known for its “Paella.”  If you don’t know what it is, Paella is essentially a dish of rice and either seafood, vegetables, or chicken. Also, their concept of tapas is pretty interesting.  It is basically a bunch of smaller dishes that you share between your table.

Portugal: 

Believe it or not, the two best pasta dishes I have had were in Portugal.  Just want to give them credit, because you would probably generally not think that Portugal would master pasta dishes.

France:

Let’s just say, being abroad made me go out of my comfort zone.  This was no different when it came to the food.  In France I tried duck, one of its specialties.  I’m glad I did because it was actually really good.  It was just like steak just a little more tender.  For dessert, you must try Macaroons.  They are hard to describe, but they are more like a pastry with a sugary filling in between the two layers.  They kind of look like colored hamburgers.  My favorite is of course, Pistachio. 

Germany (Munich):

Of course, Germans are really into the thick meats like Bratwurst and things like that.  I am not a read thick meat type of person, so I got Spaetzel noodles.  They are basically macaroni and cheese with fried onion bits in it.  It was soooo good. I’m not sure if it’s a common German dish or just a Hofbrauhaus thing.  Regardless, you have to make it to the famous Hofbrauhaus brewery in Munich.

Location: Florence, Italy

One thought on “Food!

1. Steffany McDougal

Great summary of dishes across Europe! It’s great that you were able to come out of your comfort zone and bit and have a taste of home as well.