Directed Research Continues, My Genius Moment

I have spent the last seven days of my life analyzing data and writing a 20-30 page paper on “The Effects of Land Use Changes on Food Security and Nutrition in the Ambosei Ecosystem, Kenya”.  Needless to say, I have lost a few brain cells so I apologize if this blog post is incomprehensible.  There are 28 of us here all writing similar lengthy reports on various topics, and we have all at some point had to resist the urge to throw our computers across the room. A typical day consists of waking up at 8 am, writing until lunch, writing some more, taking a break to run circles around the camp, and then writing again. The good news is that I have finally finished a rough draft, so hopefully all I have to do is make a few revisions and I am DONE! Though the process is strenuous, there are some rewards.  When analyzing data I cross tabulated survey responses on the respondents’ location and food security and found that those living on the slopes of Kilimanjaro were less likely to be food secure than those living in the Kuku or Kimana areas. This was strange, because the Kilimanjaro area is known to have much more fertile soils. I asked myself what was different about the Kilimanjaro region that would have this effect, and remembered that this was the only location which relied primarily on rain-fed agriculture as opposed to irrigation. So, I decided to cross-tabulate the data on rain-fed vs. irrigated farming and food security and found that those who used irrigation were much more likely to be food secure! After this whole process I was super happy because it made me feel way smarter than I actually am. So, I may not be living up to my faced paced adrenaline filled typical lifestyle, but I am HIKING KILIMANJARO IN TEN DAYS so I am hoping I will more than make up for it then!  We have only 3 days to finalize our reports and 2 days to formulate and present a community presentation, and then our academic work is done! Oh, and don’t worry, I will have a copy of my research paper with me at all times so you can all read the riveting tale of food security and nutrition in southern Kenya.

Location: Kimana, Kenya

2 thoughts on “Directed Research Continues, My Genius Moment

1. KATHLEEN ANN FOX

Riley, it sounds like your experience has been rewarding and exhausting! I look forward to hearing about it upon your return to PSU.

Best,
    Kate

2. KATHLEEN ANN FOX

Best,
    Kate