Bali Adventure! Part 2

Next on my list of things to do in Bali was the white water rafting trip and visit to an elephant park. We arrived at the launch site on the Ayung River where we geared up and set of down the river. This package trip is one of the most popular things to do in Bali, seeing pictures of celebrities such as Johnny Knoxville and Jean-Claude Van Dam have participated in this trip before. After a long hike down the gorge we watched our guides have a quick prayer before we were informed of certain paddling techniques and commands. ‘Boom Boom’ meant pull in your paddle and hold on while ‘Big Boom Boom’ meant get in the fetal position and hold on for dear life. The rafting trip took approximately two hours but seemed to fly by as we saw some of the most unique and awesome cliffs in the world. The canyon that the Ayung had carved created a valley that looked like something out of Jurassic Park with vines over a hundred feet long hanging from cliffs and birds of all size and color flying about. This made things sort of dangerous because I was caught gawking at the sights instead of paying attention the rapids at some times. It seemed like every turn held a new amazing waterfall or cliff formation. One area had carvings which depicted a Balinese Romeo and Juliet-type story. At the end of the jaw-dropping raft ride we got out and climbed about a half hour to a Balinese buffet lunch, which I hit pretty hard, of course.

rafting pic.jpg

Ready to raft with Rachel!

rock wall 2.jpg

Rock Wall Carvings with Liat and Soua

gang rafting pic.jpg

The Gang

After a fantastic lunch we were driven to the elephant park where we got to ride an elephant, feed and take pictures with elephants, and watch an elephant talent show (This park is where Johnny Knoxville was painted by an elephant). Riding an elephant was something I would have never thought I would do in my life, but here I was riding a 5 ton animal. This day was one of the most memorable days of the trip.

Elephant pic.jpg

Ridin’ and Elephant

elephant pic w dave.jpg

Big animals, big appitite

Location: Bali, Indonesia