Gibraltar!

gibraltar.JPG

We really wanted to take a trip to Morocco while Emily was here, but there was not a way to take a day trip and we didn’t have enough time to take a weekend trip.

On Wednesday, a friend mentioned something about a program doing a day trip to Gibraltar. I wasn’t exactly sure what Gibraltar was but I was sure I had heard of it before. Later that day I mentioned it to Emily and even though neither of us was sure what or even where Gibraltar was, we signed up for the trip on Saturday morning.

Saturday morning approached quickly and we woke up early and walked to the bus stop. We planned to sleep on the bus (until they started blasting music!) So during the bus ride we wrote in our little journal that we decided to keep in order to write down our adventures in and around Spain.

At this point, we knew that Gibraltar was a territory of England that is attached at the bottom of Spain. We knew from the program description of the day that we would be able to see Africa from a lookout point, climb the famous rock of Gibraltar, go in a cave and get to see the famous Gibraltar monkeys.

Arriving in Gibraltar, we had to go through customs to get our passports checked. After, we got on mini buses that would give us our tour. Our tour guide was so funny and interesting. He told us just how small Gibraltar is. As we were waiting in traffic, he said that we were waiting for a plane to either take off or land. (Gibraltar is the only place in the world where car traffic has to stop for air traffic). A few minutes later, don’t you know that a plane drove right on by right into the airport? It was very interesting.   

Next we went to Europa Point- a lookout point. This is where we were able to see Africa! We had views all around. Behind us was the huge rock of Gibraltar, to our right was a piece of Spain and straight ahead was the strait of Gibraltar where the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean meet. Looking out further, we were able to see Morocco! (Even though we weren’t able to visit, it was pretty cool that we SAW it!!)

Then began our climb of the rock of Gibraltar in this tiny tour bus… It was actually pretty scary and we were convinced we were going to fall off the edge. We went inside St. Michael’s cave, but upon exiting was when we were able to hang out with the famous Gibraltar monkeys. I loved the little baby monkeys and I was crawling all over the ground trying to get one to like me. Some of the monkeys were huge and scary, but the babies were really cute. A lot of people had the monkeys climb on their backs and shoulders and I tried really hard to get one to climb on me. Unfortunately the monkeys did not like me very much! We did have one monkey eat sunflower seeds out of our heads!

Afterward, we drove back down the rock and into town. We ate lunch in town and walked around a bit. Gibraltar was such an interesting place full of mixed culture and language. There is an obvious Spanish influence, but the classic red telephone booths and the menu with traditional English food reminded us that we were in a territory of the UK.

We loved Gibraltar and we were so happy with our spontaneous decision to go on this day trip!

Location: Gibraltar