Barcelona with the best!

The whole cell phones not working over here in Europe created quite the problem for Emily and I as we both arrived at Barcelona El Prat last Friday. We had no way of contacting each other and we did not know where to meet each other. Luckily, I connected to Wi-Fi for 15 minutes during which I used a texting application to get a hold of her. She miraculously received the text and we were able to find each other!

After some struggle we took a bus to the city center. From there we walked to our hostel. We arrived (but only after walking past it a few times in search).

I can’t describe how amazing it was to have my best friend here. It was so amazing and so comforting to have this little piece of home. Besides, when Emily and I together a minute does not go by without us laughing.

So at first, we just walked around the city catching up and admiring what Barcelona had to offer. We got some tapas that night (traditional Spanish cuisine that Emily had to try!) with some sangria. Of course Emily was exhausted from her travelling mishaps and what have you so we stayed in our hostel and played some cards with people from all over the world until we were ready to pass out in our beds.

The next morning we woke up with big plans to explore Barcelona. We wanted to see the most famous Gaudi sites. Everyone told us to take the metro to get to these sites from the hostel. We didn’t listen because (1) we don’t mind walking and (2) we don’t want to miss out on an adventure through the city by simply taking the underground metro.

Quite flawlessly (I’m very proud to say) we made our way to “La Sagrada Familia” Gaudi’s work in progress cathedral. This building is a masterpiece. It is absolutely incredible and it is not even completed! It is so detailed and interesting.

Then we grabbed some lunch at an Italian restaurant nearby before making our way to Gaudi’s Parc G�ell. In the distance we saw what looked like a mountain. We figured Parc G�ell would be up there because I had heard from some people that it was on top of a hill somewhere. We proceeded to climb this mountain only to find at the top that we were not where we thought we were. Regardless, we enjoyed the beautiful 360� views of the city. This accidental mountain climb actually turned out to be one of our favorite parts about our weekend in Barcelona.

Next, we wanted to go to the actual Parc G�ell. On top of the mountain we started asking people for directions. Once we climbed back down the mountain we continued asking for directions until eventually we entered Gaudi’s famous park. Upon entering, we were not impressed. After the views we had just seen on the mountaintop, the dirt and construction in the park were not pleasant. We then, however, saw Gaudi’s house. From then on in the park we saw all of the beauty. The incredible ceramics on the ceiling and lining the benches; the sculptures; the houses; the runway from season 1 finale of America’s Next Top Model….it was all there! And it was all incredible. We took so many photos and had an awesome time taking in the amazing works of art that Gaudi left behind.

Stubbornly, we began the trek back to our hostel. I say stubbornly because we still refused to take a bus or metro. Instead, we found our way and we did a terrific job of it. (Here, I will not hesitate to give all the credit to my lovely friend, Emily, because without her sense of direction I probably would have landed us back on top of the mountain we had accidentally climbed earlier that day).

The next day we planned to spend at the beach. We suited up (in our bathing suits, yes), and headed to the beach. We sat for a few minutes until we could not handle it anymore. Unfortunately, it was way too cold for a beach day. We then ate at a restaurant right by the ocean. We were told that in Barcelona we HAVE to try the seafood, so that is what we intended to do. We ordered a “fish and seafood platter” that the waiter so helpfully told us contained “fish and seafood” when I asked for more clarification. When it arrived we were not too content with what we saw. This seafood was awful, even for two girls who actually enjoy seafood in the US. I will share some details: it was mushy and undercooked and unseasoned. Yeah, we did not enjoy it.

On our last day in Barcelona we did some shopping on the famous street Las Ramblas.

Leaving Barcelona that afternoon, we felt that we had done everything we came to do. We liked our hostel, met new people, found our way around the city and saw the best sights that Barcelona had to offer. I missed Seville so much and I was so ready to return to city that I feel comfortable in. I was so excited for Emily to see her second city in Spain (and the best city if I may add my bias ;).)

Location: Barcelona, España