Work Hard, Play Hard

G’day Mates!

Last week we finished up with class and caught the bus down to Freo to experience the Fremantle Prison night tour (as you can see, prisons are a reoccurring theme). This place is supposedly the third most haunted establishment in WA, but I’m not too sure how you crunch the numbers on something like that. Though scary with all its horror stories, the tour did offer a lot of insight on how prisoners were treated back in the 1800s. It was built in 1850 by labor convicts sent over from Great Britain. The prison was open all the way up until 1991 and it housed both men and women prisoners. Toward the end of its life as a prison, living conditions were still so primitive that prisoners used buckets for toilets. One of my favorite things that I took away from this experience was the fact that there were over 100 escapes from Fremantle prison. I thought this was odd until the guide told us that the prison was built out of limestone, which is so soft that the prisoners could literally scratch the walls away with their fingernails.

Freo Prison.JPG

Prison Grounds

The rest of the weekend I spent checking out Freo on my own time. I would just catch the bus, get off, and start walking somewhere I hadn’t been. I found a picturesque beach right outside of town that was meant for dogs so I threw down my towel, pulled out a book, and watched owners and their dogs run around the beach. The rest of the day I checked out the local market and stumbled upon some great food. Of course I had to try some street vender food but eventually I was ready for a meal. This is when I got a mullet burger.

Mullet Burger.JPG

This thing had cheddar cheese, Australian bacon, a fried egg, and a sliced beet. It sounds weird but the combination of all those different flavors was something I could appreciate. I could definitely understand why it was called a mullet burger because mullets are a combination of a few weird things but to the right person, it can be something special. Either way, the market might be my favorite place in town because of the all the different smells, foods, cultures and people. It was a breath of fresh air seeing so many people who specialized in a skill or an art thriving.

Though it sounds like I am mostly going to the beach and eating, studies are filling up most of my spare time. After finishing week three I have almost gotten into a grove with balancing studies and my spare time. You know what they say; work hard, play hard. This upcoming week it may be harder than usual to stick to this motto because our first semester break is coming up and with that, Bali! There are 10 of our CIEE group members going and it will be for 5 days and 6 nights. From what we’ve researched, our trip could include zip lines, white water rafting, massages, temples, beaches, a monkey jungle…and did I mention an elephant ride?!?! Stay tuned for my next entry from Bali. Here are some visuals to tide you over.

Town Hall.JPG

Town Hall

Me.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

Location: Perth, Australia, Fremantle