Beginning to feel the culture shock…

So, I’ve been here for about a month and it’s interesting to think about the random things that make Italy so different from the US.

Eating/ Food

The eating situation here is obviously quite different.  In restaurants and caf�s, you are generally charged for sitting down to eat your food.  The same thing even goes for a cappuccino or hot chocolate.  At home you usually don’t see little bar areas where you stand up to drink your coffee, but here you have to stand if you want to avoid paying extra.  Also, back when I was ignorant about the food here, I kept saying how excited I was to be in the “home of chicken parm and fettucine alfredo.” Boy, I was wrong!  If I asked for that at a restaurant here the Italians would laugh me out the door.  I never realized how bad we “Americanize” our Italian food.  Let’s face it, the Olive Garden is good, but its not as authentic as we think.
Shopping/ Stores
It’s weird to look around and not see a giant Walmart every five feet.  Here stores are all small, family owned, and very specific.  There are no places like Walmart that have food, toys, and clothes in the same store.  Even though it makes it less convenient, I kind of like it because it leaves a lot of variety and options.  However, it can be annoying because when the stores are crowded its hard to move around in because all of the stores are small.  I find that I’m not using my credit card as much as I would like because a lot of stores are so small and old fashioned that they only accept cash.  At first grocery shopping was difficult because I couldn’t read labels and sometimes had no idea what I was specifically buying.  I think it makes things more interesting though.  Another thing, is they charge you for grocery bags, so it’s advantageous to buy a reusable one.
Love/ Affection
It is true that Italians (and probably the same thing goes for most Europeans) are more open about affection.  I walk around the street corner and I see a couple making out without a care in the world.  As an American I find it awkward, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.  I’m sure its going to get even more severe with Valentine’s day approaching!
Kids/ Dogs
I love how the little ones and dogs are dressed here.  I feel like in America we dress our kids up in dorky cute outfits, but here there are more fashion-y clothing stores specifically for kids, such as Ferrari.  It’s embarrassing when you walk by a two year old who isn’t even walking and he is wearing more expensive clothes than you are!  I saw a baby in a Fendi stroller and a baby boy wearing a Dolce and Gabbana winter hat.  They are not messing around when it comes to kids fashion here, or fashion in general for that matter.   But, I was expecting serious adult fashion, but the stylish little ones caught me off guard.  Even the dogs where clothes! At home, I always try to dress up my chihuahua in steelers jerseys, sundresses, polos, and even puffy jackets but she HATES it.  Here, dogs strut there stuff in sweaters and jackets.  I even saw one in Burberry! I love how locals take their dogs everywhere.  I was in Billa, a grocery store the other day, and realized they have little hooks in the front of the store which are meant to attach your dogs leash to! I saw a cute, well behaved terrier sitting there as people were shopping for food.
I think I’m adjusting to the differences well, but I find them very interesting!
XOXO,
Bri

Location: Via Tosinghi, Florence, Italy

2 thoughts on “Beginning to feel the culture shock…

1. Taylor Leigh

I hear you on the culture schock thing. At least there the dogs are still considered pets! Here in Kenya, all the dogs are strays, and they are horribly mange-y and skinny. We aren’t allowed to touch them because of rabies, and it’s so difficult!

2. JENNIFER ROSALIND MAUGHAN

The differences you pointed out are so interesting. Living abroad definitely makes you more well-rounded. That’s so funny about the dog in Burberry!