My Birthday

A couple of days ago we visited a Maasai tribe boma.  We danced with the Maasai mamas and got to go into their homes.  Then they sold us some of their carvings jewelry, and wraps, all of which were beautiful.  Once I get back to the states, I can upload a video of their song and dance they performed to welcome us.

I turned 21 years old yesterday.  And even though I was thousands of miles from my family, I still had the most amazing birthday I could have asked for.

I went for a run at 6am, did some laundry and then came in for breakfast at 7:30.  After breakfast, we had a field lecture about how to make detailed observations of plants and animals.  Then we prepped for our trip to Amboseli National Park.
The ride in the land cruiser was about 35 minutes on a tarmac road and then about 45 minutes on a dirt road to get to the gate.  Then we opened up the hatches, stood on our seats, and held our breath.
Almost immediately we started seeing amazing things.  A giraffe, thompson’s gazelles, ostriches, elephants, cape buffalo, hippos, fish eagle, secretary bird, warthogs, crowned cranes, superb starlings, grant’s gazelles, hyenas, black backed jackals, and I’m sure I’m forgetting some. 
IMG_0125.JPG
On the way out of the park, I decided to sit back down in my seat due a bit of heat exhaustion.  But when I heard the word ‘lion’ I stood back up and had the most amazing experience of my life to date.  They were decently far away, but nevertheless, we saw a pride of lions, 5 adult females for sure, and the males probably weren’t far away.  They were walking to get some water, and they were just so powerful looking.  It was incredible.

Location: Amboseli National Park, Kenya