Running in Rhotia

So usually every evening after class I go for a run. Yesterday I started the workouts that my teammates are doing back home for their spring conditioning (for those of you who don’t know, I play rugby). The thing about running here is that it is pretty hard to find a path that is flat/doesn’t have a big ditch running down the middle of it. I was doing interval training, and my first set ended up being entirely downhill. Not so bad. However this meant that the second set was entirely uphill. After I pep talked my way through that, I decided to run by the schula (school) where the ground is relatively flat. I did not account for the fact that around this time several young curious children were getting out of school. I found myself in a mass of 20-30 young students, who gave me very enthusiastic high fives for the next 5 minuets. This progressed to me making the mistake of offering one a piggyback ride, and before I knew it I was the village donkey :). The also liked to touch my skin and hair (they were brushing it out of my face when the wind blew it out of my ponytail. adorable). When most of the students then started walking home I continued on my merry way. For about 200 feet. There I encountered some other students who wanted to hold my hands and walk with me up and down the path, and how could I say no to that? Then I met a 12 year old boy, who incidentally loved to do cartwheels. This ended up with us doing 5 continuous cartwheels simultaniously, which was a lot of fun and probably pretty cute to watch. So much for that 4th set…

Location: Rhotia, Tanzania