Ropas y Rebajas

@font-face { font-family: “Cambria”; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: “Times New Roman”; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

In Spain, there is an emphasis on appearance and looking pulled together. In Europe, showing up to class at college in your pajamas or sweats in unheard of. At Penn State, I have seen people show up to classes in their robes, I’m not kidding. (He claimed it was laundry day, and of course it was a he.)

Men, women, kids, babies, teenagers- Everyone appears pulled together. Their clothes are less trendy, and more classic. Dark jeans, scarfs, blazers, boots, a nice coat and bag. I have come to appreciate their sense of style. For them, it seems to be less about the amount of clothes or choices you have, but rather having a solid wardrobe that you can mix and match and make the most of. It’s been a welcome change to look nice each day (rather than just throwing on my fitness clothes that I would wear to teach at the gym later like I did at PSU) to go to school, although it does require me to wake up an extra ten minutes earlier to pull myself together.

Rebajas.jpg

These signs are tempting me at every store!

One thing I have a love-hate relationship here concerning clothes are the “rebajas” or sales. Everything in Spanish stores is on a huge sale right now, and has been since I arrived. Twice a year all the stores in Spain have a huge sale- once in January for the winter clothes, and once in June for the spring clothes. Everything is on a huge sale. And, their stores are amazing. It’s taken a lot of self control not to blow my entire semester’s budget on one shopping trip!

Location: Alcala de Henares, Spain