My Swiss Adventures.

The Swiss Alps are so beautiful they don’t even seem real.

DSC00267.JPG

I traveled to Switzerland with a group of 8 people. 5 of our friends departed on Thursday, January 19th and my two friends and I departed on Friday, January 20th. We left our residency at 4:30 AM for a 7:00 AM flight. We flew Swiss Air; I would recommend them to anyone planning on traveling to Switzerland. I personally never thought I would be going to Switzerland, yet it was first on the agenda. So you really never know where you’ll end up. The flight was about an hour. We arrived in Geneva, Switzerland and then, half asleep, had to figure out how to get to Interlaken by train. Few people spoke even basic English, and those that did had trouble comprehending our questions. Trying to understand French in Geneva was certainly a task, but as we approached Interlaken German became the language to speak, and trying to communicate with Germans is like a comedy routine. It is so interesting to hear other languages, especially when there’s a random transition from smooth French to harsh German. It humbles you to know that despite America’s palpable influence on the world, we are not the center of everyone’s universe. Someone didn’t know what ‘water’ meant when I asked for it; but why would they? As I continue my experience abroad, I realize how unrealistic my expectations are. I didn’t know a word of French or German going to Switzerland, yet I expect for Swiss people to understand English? I’m shocked that I just went into this with no knowledge, expecting to be directed to my hostel in English. Every day is eye-opening. I know it sounds corny but I really do feel myself becoming more grounded.

DSC00258.JPG
On Friday night, we went sledding. It felt so peaceful to weave through the Swiss Alps in the darkness. It was a serene experience. On Saturday, we tried classic Swiss cuisine: Bratwurst (technically German sausage) and cheese fondue, among other delectable foods.
DSC00194.JPG
We took a scenic train to Grindelwald and got to see the mountains up closer. It was surreal.
398610_10150574260887268_1393217928_n.jpg
Although I didn’t do any ‘extreme’ activities, the trip was worth my while. There is nothing like that view, and my pictures barely do it justice. My next trip will be to Rome or Dublin. As excited as I am about all of this traveling, I feel as though my heart is with London. I actually missed it a lot when I was in Switzerland. I’m beginning to associate myself as a Londoner, and I couldn’t be happier about it.

Location: Interlaken, Switzerland