Call me A Beijinger!

Its being a week since I settled into the beautiful and cozy capital of China, Beijing, and its amazing doubtlessly so far! I already feel like a Beijinger!

The orientation week at IES center was really helpful in getting me oriented academically and socially. I was placed into 500 level Chinese language class and will be writing my first 15 page thesis paper in CHINESE. That is going to be really exciting and challenging too! I love my fellow IES participants here, who are coming from universities all over United States.

This week, I explore National Library of China, which is only two subway stops away from my dorm. The library is amazingly big, but there is also lots of security around. Librarians did not allow us to enter the library at first, insisted that my friends and I show our passports (I know, China!). However, we did manage to go in.

南锣鼓巷 (South Drum Alley) was my second exploration spot. It’s a beautifully preserved old Beijing alley with wide variety of restaurants, from tradition Beijing honey cake to fried scorpion. I also met a nice old couple around 70 years old at the alley, who spoke fluent English and were very excited to meet me. We had a great chat about my experience here in Beijing thus far, and their experience in US (their daughters are studying abroad in Missouri State!) and we had picture together. They totally made my day.

Today is Chinese New Year’s Eve! I will be celebrating new year for the first time in Beijing and right away tomorrow, the group will be heading to Yunnan, south west of China, for our 2 week mobile learning trip. There is no better way to start 2012 than this!

Location: beijing, China