Kde domov můj

Prague is this mfall2011 572.JPGagical city where you feel like you’re living in a fairy tale. The palace grounds are beautiful, with spectacular architecture and breath-taking views. The Old Jewish Cemetery, with some graves ten to twelve layers deep, sends chills down
 your spine as you try to imagine how it must hfall2011 567.JPGave been to live in the Jewish quarter a few decades ago.  Old Town Square takes you back in time with its stunning churches and infamous Astronomical Clock. Yet right around the corner, the architecture changes to a much more modern feel and there are signs everywhere pointing to the closest McDonald’s. The Lennon Wall catches everyone’s eye with its vibrant colors and inspiring messages. It was so strange to see the contrast between Old Town and New Town, but there was something really special about it too.

fall2011 639.JPG   part3 038.JPG  

The Czech people’s story is one that doesn’t get told enough. It is long and complicated, filled with tales of Prague’s important role in the Holy Roman Empire, all the way through the 20th century world wars, and on to the country’s new found freedom in 1993. And no, that was not a typo… the Czech Republic is younger than me! I won’t bore you all with the details, I know not everyone is into history as much as I am, but Prague has been a key player in so many historical events, and they have all left their mark on the city. Through it all though, the people remained true to themselves and eighteen years ago they finally got what they had been fighting for.

fall2011 611.JPG 
The Czech Republic’s national anthem is called “Kde domov můj,” or “Where is my home?” in English. Our local tour guide joked about its meaning, claiming it is fitting because the Czech’s love their beer, and after a few too many, they all start wondering how to find their house. To be honest after trying some of their famous brews, I can imagine how that might happen; they really are delicious. But anyways, she went on to explain that the people adopted it way back during the Habsburg Empire and it is very appropriate to describe the way the Czech people have felt for centuries, loving their land and neighbors, but longing for their own identity.

Czech Republic National Anthem

Location: Prague, Czech Republic

One thought on “Kde domov můj

1. INDIAH D FORTUNE

WOW! I really want to visit Prague before I leave Europe but with finals coming up I don’t think I’ll get the chance, this time around. So glad you were able to go and posted all this information about this wonderful place.