Ubuntu

Throughout my time here in Cape Town, I’ve learned a lot about the Ubuntu through my interaction with others. Below is a short essay I wrote for a seminar about just how similar my own values are to those of Ubuntu:
The value my cultural partner and I discussed is the African concept of Ubuntu. She told me that in Setswana, the term is “botho” and derives from the expression “motho ke motho ka batho,” which literally means, “a person is a person through other people.” She explained that you are not an entity in and of yourself, but rather that you exist through other people. In all your actions and ways, you should consider other people. If you act badly towards others, you’re considered to be without that virtue and to be without it is bad. Ubuntu, she explained goes into all spheres of life and regulates how you speak to people and how you relate to others because they are the people that you are a person through. She said that Ubuntu covers most values including respect, dignity, humility, self worth, and humanity. Basically, Ubuntu is the concept that everyone exists through others and everything you do affects others.
One of the things I learned was that the values I was raised with aren’t far from those of my cultural partners. I think the biggest difference is the fact that there was never a specific term for the values my parents raised me with. Although I was not brought up hearing the term “Ubuntu,” I was told, “Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.” My parents taught me respect others and myself and to always remain humble. They taught me that no matter who a person is or how they treat me, I should treat them with respect. I learned that I should always look out for those around me, family or otherwise. They taught me basic morals like to never lie, cheat, or steal. My parents brought me up on basic Christian values, which, like Ubuntu, cover a wide variety of values.
While the conversation did not exactly help me to understand why things are the way they are in South Africa, it helped me to feel a connection to my cultural partner. The longer I’m here, the more I’m able to draw transatlantic conclusions. There are certain things that didn’t die in the slave trade and I believe the concept of Ubuntu is one of them. Like Moyo, I was raised to treat others with respect because in a way, we are all connected. I find it interesting that even though we are worlds apart and I am centuries removed, there are still so many cultural similarities between the two of us. I absolutely love the idea of Ubuntu and I think it’s completely relevant for a lesson like this. People exist through other people. There is no culture or language or race that is stagnant. Instead, we exist through and rely on other people. I don’t think this concept could have been more spot on.

Location: Cape Town, South Africa