We Are…Smart?

Abstract

The Million Dollar Question: Are we smart because we are at Oxford or at Oxford because we are smart?

My second week at Oxford has come to an end so far; both my essays have received good reviews, which made my week. I have managed to attend meetings and events for a number of societies on campus and simply joining the societies in your area helps significantly reduce the cost of taking advantage of this opportunity. I have been finding the overall environment. One word: lovely. The people, the places, the vibe. Everyone seems so down to earth and normal it is easy to forget I am at the best university in the world. From walking over to Domino’s at night for a free pizza to staying up chatting till 2 am, I’d say these students are just your average college students at a not-so-average college.

——-

Due to the feedback I received from a loyal follower of my blog, I inserted an abstract section at the beginning so that my not so loyal followers can have a feel for what the entry is talking about without actually having to read my “too-long” blog post. Bodelian Library

In between the two essays I have had to type up this week, which both got good reviews, (yay me!) I have managed to attend meetings and events for a number of societies on campus. I am yet to attend a Law Society event, which I should considering the fact that I am a member and paid a significant sum of money for the membership. I have been to African Caribbean Society events, as well as PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics, the course I am studying) events and even joined the choir. These have all been healthy distractions as well as huge networking opportunities for me. The number of international businesses and successful personnel that come to the university is insane and simply joining the societies in your area helps significantly reduce the cost of taking advantage of this opportunity. At the pub last week, I was talking to a girl who is in her final year and got a job offer from one of the top law firms in London. They are saving the position for her till after her graduation and return from a year of learning Portuguese in Brazil, which they are sponsoring. Sometimes, it is not even at career fairs that the most important networking is made, but simply at society events, which are advantageous due to the smaller setting.

Oxford University PressOn another note, I’m going to talk a little bit about health. Everyone is sick. It is like the cough intervals in a lecture hall have a melodic tune to them and I find it hilarious, and slightly concerning. Apparently it is the Fresher’s Flu that happens every year at around this time, so it is nothing to be worried about. 

I am going on my official Oxford tour tomorrow morning, so I am sorry folks, but you will have to wait till next week for more exclusive topnotch pictures. So with lack of scenery to discuss, I will briefly talk about how I have been finding the overall environment. One word: lovely. The people, the places, the vibe. It’s different and it is lovely. Let’s focus on the people: the locals have been really nice and I cannot count the number of times people have just glanced at a lost look on my face and asked me if I needed directions, without me having to approach them. My tutors have been flexible to my needs and very gentle in their criticism, which is good for my feeble heart! Everyone seems strict and firm, but with good intentions. It’s tough love out here. The students are friendly, especially here at St. Catz. I have noticed when around members of other colleges, the comradery among sports groups, such as the rowing and rugby teams have more bromances than romances going on. Maybe because we are in different colleges and such, but I definitely think St. Catz are more approachable and friendly and therefor Oxford’s cool catz. Everyone seems so down to earth and normal it is easy to forget I am at the best (according to Joyce T. Chuinkam’s rankings) university in the world. From walking over to Domino’s at night for a free pizza to staying up chatting till 2am, I’d say these students are just your average college students at a not-so-average college. This has led me to do some thinking lately, resulting in the million dollar question (633,400 <—That conversion rate is the only thing I hate about being American right now).

MatriculationAre we smart because we are at Oxford or at Oxford because we are smart? Before you roll your eyes thinking the later is obvious, think about the former. Could being in an environment where you are labeled “smart” without having to say a word push you to live up to your title? Do professors assume you are smart and therefore challenge and push you in ways other universities dare not? Does your exposure to a new world of opportunities, challenges and great resources significantly enhance your thinking abilities? Would it be the same at any other university? Finally, would any Tom, Dick or Harry ace essays on Spanish democracy and international law if they were simply blessed with the Oxfordian resources and luxuries? One on one tutorials, lectures by experts and world renown professors, house keeping 3 times a week, etc. I walked into a store today and read this quote on an Oxford postcard:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” ~ William A. Ward

This got me thinking: are we all born with potential but some the opportunities to maximize it and others not? Or is it all about self-discipline and hard work? Does how we are socialized really have an impact on our academic performance? Maybe that builds the study skills and mental environment for success? Is Oxford such a great university because it educates the best of the best or because it employs the best of the best? Feel free to comment, message, text, Skype, facebook and NOT Yahoo! Messenger me (because nobody uses that anymore). I am curious to see what people think about this. 

This ran a little longer than I expected, but on the brightside, hunger no more! I left you all some food for thought!

Till next week,

Joyce.

PS: Is it wrong that everyday I grab my fully charged camera on my way out with the hopes of running into Emma Watson. Laugh all you want, but better safe than sorry!

**Pictures of the Bodleian Library, matriculation, and the Oxford University Press at night.

Location: Oxford, England

One thought on “We Are…Smart?

1. CATHY LYNN ROGERS

You are as always…as smart as you choose to be! Granted I have a son who could have gone to Oxford..or gasp Cambridge but choose PSU possibly due to that high intimidation level or the desire to be further from his mother! I, on the other hand, wasn’t aware of those acadamia stadards the first time I arrived at Oxford so I did well without that pressure. I am very aware now. I believe that a great teacher can make a world of difference for a student, though by the time your an adult it becomes a matter of choice. That it is harder to overcome, there is no doubt, yet high goals can be achieved if even unconventionally. I dream of being a great teacher though I learn more about all the things I do not know everyday. I hope that you continue to enjoy each and every experience in Oxford with JOY! Congrates on your papers! PS Have you been punting yet?