Maasai Fashion 101

With our Expedition to Lake Nakuru National Park approaching, I decided to make some changes. We won’t be showering for sometime as we camp, hike and explore. The physical attractiveness of my hair was one worry I didn’t want, so I signed up for KBC’s improv beauty salon. Here’s the story! 

And the mid-transformation update

And the take away message of it all. A lesson in Maasai Fashion Fabulous, but not what you’d expect. Because as popular as hair braiding is in Kenya, it’s not traditionally Maasai. Maasai women have shaved heads- it’s only the men who traditionally have long flowing locks of warrior braids. Women and men alike wear TONS of jewelry: beautiful braided necklaces, bracelets, earrings and cuffs in rainbow colors. Also, the Maasai are a very musical people, but have no real instruments besides their voices and- you guessed it- their jewelry! The bangles and disks of metal on the bracelets and anklets act as percussion as they jump and dance. They also have between printed clothes (they wear mostly printed fabrics, and blue and red blankets called “shukas”). Each fabric comes with a saying, like a printed t-shirt. One that I have reads “The rumors are true, but it’s none of your business!”
PS- Thank you for your constant interest and support, my lovely readers! I’d love to hear your comments and feedback. Speaking of which: ever want to send me snail mail? Now you dreams can come true!
Kate Thompson
c/o School for Field Studies at the Center for Wildlife Management
PO Box 304
Karatu Tanzania
East Africa

Location: Kimana, Kenya