Weekend in Cape Town

So…my weekend did not go as planned at all, but like every other weekend here, this one was nothing less than exciting and enlightening.

On Friday, I went with CHOSA to tour all of the different volunteer locations. We went to several children’s homes, a primary school in Khayelitsha, and a daycare center. The children’s homes were pretty much as I expected. That is, they were very similar to Baphumelele. It’s so interesting to see how wonderfully happy these kids are. The smiles on their faces brighten up my day each and every time I see them. They’re a reminder of how grateful we should be for life, if nothing else.

At the school, we talked to a principal and two teachers. They told us that sometimes they work overtime, as in after school and on Saturdays, to make sure the kids are learning what they need to. Most of the times, they have to teach to the national tests and their lessons have little room for creativity. Despite all of the extra hours and testing, though, most of the kids are behind 2-3 grade levels. The reason they move them forward is that there is no room for them to stay behind, so kids get bumped up without actually having the skills needed to move ahead. It creates a sad pattern and perpetuates the achievement gap between blacks and whites in South Africa.

The last site we went to was a daycare center in Khayelitsha. It was in a shack in the squatter camp. Needless to say, it was like something I’d never seen before. It was obvious that out of all the places we’d visited, this place needed the most work and help. What concerned me most about it, however, is the fact that CHOSA doesn’t actually send any of its volunteers there. It worries me that they only send volunteers to the sites that are “safest” or most “tourist friendly.” Doesn’t that contribute to the problem of the “better than” mentality?

After the tour, I was pretty wiped out. I had every intention of going out Friday night, but ended up ordering Chinese food and watching The Princess and the Frog with Helen and Alexis.

Saturday morning, I barely woke up before noon and headed to Claremont with Moyo, my RA for lunch at Ocean Basket. Shortly after, we went to a gospel concert at Baxter Theatre. Because it was Heritage Day, the concert opened with an array of different African outfits and songs in all different African tongues. I didn’t understand what they were saying, but I knew they were worshiping, and I was so happy to be a part of it.

In South Africa, Heritage Day is also considered to be National Braai Day. Needless to say, there were about a million different braais going on around the city and I planned on partaking in the festivities. After the concert, I went to my friends’ (Candace and Ayanna) house for a braai. It was their roommate’s birthday and they were braaing in celebration. Just as interesting as the braai was the trip to Candace and Ayanna’s house. My friend Brooke and I caught a cab from my house over to the braai. About halfway through the cab ride, we realized that the driver didn’t really know where he was going and was just riding around to run up our bill. We asked to be let out and called Candace and Ayanna’s “personal driver” to come pick us up. We got to the braai safe and sound and were able to participate in the festivities. After another one of our friends showed up, we back to my house as my RAs were having a braai of their own. When we got home, the house was full of people from all different parts of the continent. We engaged in some interesting conversation and ate some great food. When the food was gone, Candace, Ayanna, Sara, Brooke, and I headed out for a night in “town” (the city).

Sunday morning, after sleeping through church and a trip to a garden about three hours away, I woke up to a text from Sara. We decided to go to Kirstenbosch Gardens, not too far from my house in Rosebank, to study for our sociology exam. The garden is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been in life. It reminded me of when I was younger, and my dad used to take us to all these nurserys and I would complain. I never understood his fascination with flowers and shrubbery…until Sunday. This garden was like all of the nurseries I’ve ever seen, on steroids. It is located at the foot of Table Mountain and is complete with ducks and other birds, streams and ponds, loads of babies, blankets, and picnic baskets. It was about 75 degrees out, which just so happened to be the perfect weather for studying…and sleeping. When we decided we’d taken in enough beauty for the day, Sara’s host family came to pick us up and took me home before venturing on to their own.

When I got home I had about five minutes to get my stuff together before one of my friends from CHOSA, Catherine, came over and we headed over to the site for the pancake dinner. Campaigning for CHOSA was super successful! Thanks to your contributions, CHOSA has already raised $3,820! If you would still like to donate, it’s not too late! You can do so at www.razoo.com/story/Fallfrenzy.  

Not only was it a great weekend, but my week is off to a pretty great start too. Yesterday at CHOSA we brought some Shel Silverstein poems for our kids to read. After they read them aloud, we had them take about 5 minutes to draw what they thought the poems meant, and then we discussed it. It was great to see them thinking critically about poetry without even realizing it. They really enjoyed the poems and I was surprised at how much they wanted to talk about them.

My weekend was really great and thus far, my week is off to a wonderful start. It was nice to just stay in Cape Town for once and rediscover all it has to offer. I was just recently brought to the realization that I only have about a month left before I return home. In this last month, I don’t want to take anything for granted. I want to remember my time in Cape Town as one of the most wonderful journeys of my life. From here on out, I’m going to make the most of each and every minute I’m here. No more complaining about the little things, no more getting homesick. I’m just going to enjoy where I am, the fact that I’m here, and the people I’m surrounded by.

Location: Rosebank, South Africa

One thought on “Weekend in Cape Town