Oktoberfest! Finally!

So after all the stress of planning and driving we finally made it to the first days of Oktoberfest in Munich!!! And it was totally worth it. We decided that it would be the least expensive if we drove so we ended up renting cars from the airport and driving 9 hours to get there! It was one of the nicest and most scenic drives ever!

We left Rome Thursday night from the airport and arrived in Munich around 9 AM. Oktoberfest started on Saturday so we had all day Friday to walk around Munich and sight see. One of the best parts about Europe has been the accessibility of the public transportation. After drinking our first German beer (at 10 AM) we caught the metro to the BMW Welt museum and the olympic park. 

Our hostel was very conveniently located between the city center and the field where all the tents are. Friday night we had the chance to go to the actual Hofbrau house in Munich for dinner and it was a great time. Both the food and the atmosphere totally made the experience.

Saturday was the first day of the actual festival so we waited in line for about 2 hours before entering the beer garden of one of the tents. We got to see the owner of our tent with his guests enter followed by his band before they handed out the first beers of Oktoberfest! Below is a picture from the second floor of our tent.

I really loved Germany and it was such a nice change from pizza and pasta everyday (which I feel bad saying as an Italian-American but I swear it gets old). If I had my way I would build a Hofbrau in Rome so that I could visit it whenever I wanted but still live in Italy and speak Italian. Unfortunately I don’t see that happening in the near future. Back to the real world!

Location: Munich, Germany