Week in Review

I didn’t do anything outstanding this week. No jumping off of cliffs, or climbing mountains. I didn’t go see a play, and I didn’t walk an elephant. For some reason, though, this was one of the most fun and rewarding weeks I’ve had since I’ve been in South Africa.

On Monday, it looked like it was going to be a tough week. I had two papers and an exam to tackle and when I got to CHOSA, I learned that four of my kids (all of the girls) had left the children’s home and been sent to foster homes instead. Not only did it look like the week was going to be academically challenging, but mentally as well. As the week went on, however, it got progressively better. I finished both my dance and English papers with no problem and my roommate and I diligently studied together for our English exam. On top of that, the beginning of the week proved to be particularly productive as I went to the gym and got in a good workout (for the first time since I’ve been here) and completed and submitted my Teach for America application. I found time to read more of my book, which I’m now almost finished with, watch The Princess and the Frog several times, and write a few new pieces. I talked with one of the staff members in the CIEE office about fashion and music and even read up on some current events online. I went to a soccer game, helped to plan next week’s adventure (whale watching in Hermanus Bay), and got a grade changed. In my opinion, the week was a success.

But perhaps what was most rewarding about this entire week was the weekend. I know I worked hard this week, which meant I knew I deserved an exciting weekend. I slept in Friday morning since I don’t have classes and decided to go to the gym. I got in a good workout and after that, went to hot yoga with my roommate. It was the first time I’d ever been, but I think it’s safe to say I’m addicted. Hot yoga is precisely what it sounds like: yoga in a heated room. I literally sweat enough to hydrate three elephants for a week (ok, that might be a little exaggerated…but just a little). I felt amazing afterwards. After showering at the gym, I went with a few of my classmates to talk to our dance teacher about the field trip he planned to take us on the next day. When we left his office, the girls I went with and another one of my friends decided to go to the next town over for sushi and a little retail therapy.

The next day, I woke up early to go back to Old Biscuit Mill for the second time during my stay here with one of my friends, Alexis. Of course we indulged in any and every free sample we could get our hands on. I finally brought the necklace I had been wanting. It’s a rustic silver charm in the shape of Africa and it has a heart where South Africa is. It is my treat to myself and I can’t think of anything more worth buying.

After leaving the market, Alexis and I went back to my house. Shortly after, I met my teacher and the two girls from dance class and we were off. We visited three of the major townships in Cape Town, including Nyanga (which is where my dance teacher grew up), Khayelitsha, and Gugulethu. In some ways, I enjoyed being in the townships more than I enjoy staying in Rosebank. I saw so many more people that look like me and there was much more of a communal feeling. There were kids outside jumping rope, people outside braaing (or barbequing), and communities of people just hanging out and enjoying the beautiful Saturday weather. He took us to watch a soccer game at a restaurant that belongs to a friend of his and to Mzoli’s to observe what it’s like on a typical Saturday. We enjoyed ourselves so much that he said he could take us again in two weeks if we wanted.

On the ride home, I was fully aware that the Penn State-Temple game was on and I had every intention of checking the score as soon as I walked in. When I got through the door though, my roommate and one of my friends greeted me and said they had made dinner with a special vegetarian option just for me. They are truly two of the sweetest people ever.  They said dinner wasn’t quite ready, though, and as I sat down to tell them all about my day, I decided to check my email. I got an email from my dad, which inspired me to run upstairs and call him. Once he didn’t answer, I remembered the game was on and decided to check the score and call my best friend, who goes to Temple, to do a little trash talking.

After dinner and the game were over (and Penn State had won, of course) I went upstairs to take a nap. No sooner than I reached the top of the stairs, our security guard called up to my room to let me know I had a visitor outside. I was a bit baffled at first, as I wasn’t expecting anyone. When I got to the gate, I realized it was my homestay family from Ocean View. They had spent the day at the waterfront and decided to stop by to say hello before they headed back. It was such a pleasant surprise. They said they’d probably be back in the next few weeks, so we’d get to hang out soon.

As I near the end of my stay, I’m starting to realize that it’s not always so important that you do grandiose things to have a great time. Instead, it’s in the company that you keep. If you’re with great people having wonderful and enlightening experiences, that’s all that truly matters. There are always going to be ups and downs, challenges and successes, but what matters is how you handle those and what you learn.

This week, I plan to head back to Tagore’s (the lounge I went to that has open mic on Mondays) and celebrate my roommate’s birthday at a local restaurant on Friday. Saturday, I’m going whale watching with all of my friends in the dorm and the rest of the week, I’ll just play it by ear. I can only pray that this week will be as wonderful as last week was. 

Location: Rosebank, South Africa