FAMILY TIME

I’ve been in Rouen for about two weeks now and almost every night my seven flat-mates and I have dinner together. This has been such a huge part of my experience because it has helped me understand a bit more about the French culture and improve my French skills.

France 001.JPG

(chicken in a cream sauce over rice with string beans)

Dinner time in France is similar to dinner time in some American homes. It’s the one chance where everyone can get together and discuss how their day was or any events coming up. When I first arrived my flat-mates would speak in English because they weren’t sure how much I would understand if they only spoke French. I let them know that I can understand most of a French conversation as long as they don’t speak to fast, but speaking in French is where I find much difficulty. They’ve been speaking to me in French (about 60% of the time) and my comprehension skills have improved tremendously; I understand everything said at the dinner table. Soon there will be times where they’ll only respond to me if I speak in French; I know with their help I will be fluent before I leave!

France 003.JPG

France 009.JPG

Although dinner time is a time that I have enjoyed while being here I know soon this will end because all of our schedules will be completely different once they being their normal classes.

Location: Rouen, France