Ciao Ragazzi!

Saturday concluded the final festivities of the Premio Piranesi, the competition I had no idea that I was signing up for when I decided to study abroad in the fall. I can’t tell you how happy I am that it is finished! It was probably the most frustrating/stressful thing that I have participated in since I started studying architecture and that is saying something. Last time I mentioned that my group consisted of 5 international students. It is extremely difficult to work with students who are not used to the same design process and work flow. Not to mention that speaking three different languages makes it a little hard to agree on an idea. 

In the end it was really great to meet international architecture students and learn about Italy first hand from them. And you can’t complain as much when your group wins! Last night was the final dinner and party. It was a lot of fun. Below is a picture of me and some of my group members (Brian from Penn State, Sara from Milan, me, Alice from Florence).

So now my actual school schedule will start and things will hopefully be much more organized and easier to navigate. Because I have been so busy I have hardly had enough time to explore Rome! The best part is that you don’t even have to go looking for interesting architecture or experiences because you seen to just stumble upon them hidden amongst normal everyday buildings. For example, we accidentally walked right into the Pantheon and the Trevi fountain on our second day here!

I’m finally beginning to get over the culture shock and am loving it here more everyday. Sometimes I forget where I am until I walk outside and remember I’m in the most amazing city with some of the best architecture and urban design in the world. We also had a chance to visit the Colosseum (absolutely amazing besides all the millions of tourists). Below is a picture of Kyle and I standing in front of one of the many sites of Roman ruins and one looking up at the wall of Colosseum.

I can’t wait to start classes so that I can learn more about all the architecture that I am experiencing! More to come later!! Buonaserra!

Location: Tivoli, Roma, Italy

One thought on “Ciao Ragazzi!

1. Megan Dewalt

It’s so cool that you get to study architecture in such an amazing country. I’m living in Florence for the semester, and I can relate in that every single time I walk to class I’m shocked by the beautiful buildings and incredible architecture. This blog really made me excited for the trip I’m planning to Rome. I hope you get a chance to experience Florence as well!