Ciao Roma!

Finally arrived and settled in the apartment just outside of Roma! It has been such a hectic week I can’t believe only 7 days ago I was packing and getting ready to leave. Originally I thought I would be able to fit everything into two suitcases, only checking one. Boy was I wrong! Two suitcases that just cleared the weight limit, a carry on, and my purse. I only had one connection in London before coming to the Fiumicino airport in Roma! Thankfully there was a shuttle van to take me from the airport to the apartment because there was no way I could have managed all my luggage on a train.

It has been somewhat tough adjusting to the culture here. The fact that I don’t know the language makes everything about 5 times harder. Most people speak at least a little bit of English so you can get around, but we have run into a few people that seem to really dislike Americans. I’ve been trying not to look like a complete tourist but that impression is ruined as soon as I open my mouth. 
The weather has been extremely hot and in the 90s for the past week. I am living in a building  constructed in 1089. Literally. So that means no air conditioning. I’m hoping it will start cooling off pretty soon. The apartment itself is nice and I’m living with all of the students in the Landscape Architecture and Architecture programs. This is a view from our courtyard:
Santa Maria.jpg
Already we have taken advantage of a few free days by traveling to places near by. The nice thing about the weather is that we have been able to visit a few beaches. The first was only an hour away by train in Lido di Ostia. The beach was crowded but the water was clear and really nice. On our second beach trip we wanted to see the Amalfi Coast. That trip took a little bit longer. Train to Napoli for 2.5 hours and then metro train from Napoli to Sorrento for a little over an hour. It was totally worth it.
Sorrento.jpg
The first two weeks of classes are occupied by the Piranesi competition organized by the Pantheon Institute that I am studying with and a partner university inviting international students from Milan, Florence, Romania, and Spain to participate as well. I am with 6 students total: 2 from Penn State (including myself), 2 from Milan, 1 from Florence, and 2 from Spain. Most of the Italian students speak English fairly well so it has been fairly easy to communicate so far. 
For the competition we had to visit 2 sites of ancient ruins; both were amazing. First we visited Villa Adriana (Hadrian’s Villa). The site is giant. We toured the majority of the building focusing on the areas where the project will be. Below is a picture of the larger baths on the site:
villa adriana.jpg
The second site we visited were the ruins of the Terme di Caracalla (the baths of Rome) which are giant sized but also amazing. I just wish I could have seen them when they were actually in use!
Terme.jpg
That’s all for now! Much more to come!! 
Arrivederci!

Location: Trastevere, Rome, Italy

3 thoughts on “Ciao Roma!

1. VALERIE VALERIEVNA TOROPIN

That looks stunning. I’m ridiculous jealous of how you’re literally drenched in history right now. Try not to get too hot!

2. KEVIN DOUGLAS FORGIE

Alison, I think I know a few of the people you might be with (Kyle Brown, Cait Delach, Simon Winterbottom)? I’m hoping I can get over to Roma at some point this semester (I’m in Spain), and your pictures made we want to visit even more. Hopefully that first project isn’t too bad!!