A Few Quick Updates

Like every other weekend since I’ve been here, this weekend was nothing less than jam-packed. It began on Friday when everyone in CIEE (the program I’m studying abroad through) went to a rugby game. It wasn’t a particularly big game, as the national team was playing the next day and therefore, the team we watched was missing some of its key players. In addition, it was cold and rainy. To say the least, it is nothing like American football, despite all the comparisons, but nonetheless I am thankful to have been able to experience a game. When I got home, a few of my roommates and I crowded around a laptop as we watched Shawshank Redemption, and not long after, I turned in for the night.

The next morning, both houses rolled out of bed to go to Old Biscuit Mill, a market in a nearby town. We took a taxi, which is a cultural experience in and of itself each and every time, for R5 a piece to the next town over and walked the rest of the way. When we got there, the market was nothing like I had pictured. Instead of seeing sculptures and paintings, local food, and maybe even hearing some cultural music, I walked into an uppity, ritzy market, complete with a Pesto Princess, brick-oven baked pizza, and any other western food you could possibly imagine. Don’t get me wrong, the market was fantastic, just not what I had anticipated. I brought a loaf of fresh onion and mushroom bread, chili chocolate (yes, it really is spicy), and a really cool postcard that I intend to send to my brother by the end of the week. I also saw a really cute necklace that I intend to go back for.

When I got back to the house, I had every intention of taking a nap until one of my friends knocked on my door wanting to go to the aquarium. Of course, I couldn’t possibly turn up an opportunity to go see something new in Cape Town, so I got dressed and hopped in the cab. The fish were absolutely beautiful and we even got to see the predators get fed! I got some really cool pictures. There was another market nearby the aquarium, so after we left, we headed there. It was more like what I expected, except the prices were kind of high, so we left.

Again, when I got back, I tried to take a nap, but was awoken by a few of my roommates who were amazed by the double rainbow that was apparently in the sky. So again, I got up and got ready to go out. One of the girls in my class had invited me to a dinner party at her house and told me to invite anyone I wanted, so I brought along one of my friends, Brittany. We walked up to the house, which was about a mile away, around 7pm. The house is absolutely adorable. It is tucked behind a bunch of shrubbery at the end of a dead-end road. Unless you’re looking, you won’t be able to tell it’s there. Inside, the walls are all white, the floors and the countertops are a light-colored hard wood and all of the appliances are stainless steal. The walls are decorated with all kinds of pictures, both black and white and colored, and the house has a homey feeling that I can’t even begin to describe. Everyone who lived in the house cooked a dish and we snacked, the entire night, on fruit, lasagna, spinach/avocado dip, feta/garlic dip, crackers, potato salad, and so much more. When people started arriving and I started conversing with any and everyone who was sitting around me, I realized that I was in the midst of a cultural melting pot. There were people there from France, Norway, Germany Black and White South Africans, Black and White Americans, and Africans from other countries. It was so awesome to sit back and listen to all of the accents and all of the incredible stories in the room. Brittany and I talked for hours until we decided it was time to go home.

The next morning, my house woke up early, once again, to head to Mzoli’s a popular meat restaurant here in South Africa. This restaurant literally sells nothing, but meat. When the food got to our table, it was brought on a huge platter and there was every kind of meat you could imagine. Although I wasn’t able to indulge in the food at Mzoli’s, the store across the street sold this bread called “fat cakes” and they were more than filling. In addition, the whole experience of being at Mzoli’s is really fun. There was a dj and a promoter outside of the tent and when everyone was done eating, we went outside to dance and listen to music.

As far as classes go, everything is going well, to a certain extent. I still enjoy my classes, in theory, but I’m very much a practical learner. As most people that know me know, I love to learn. Teach me something and I’m yours for a lifetime. Teach me something that I can apply and I’m yours for two lifetimes. I love that we’re learning things of interesting content, but I’m ready to learn how this stuff is useful. For instance, in my English class, we were told to read The Palmwine Drinkard. The book has been finished for two weeks (by not just me, but everyone in the class) and we have yet to discuss it in class. In my class on culture, identity and globalization, we have continuously talked about exploitation of Africans and African Americans through media, but have yet to discuss how we can stop or change it. I’m ready to be progressive.

In other news, I found out that at the end of the semester we have a showcase for our African dance class. I’m going to try my hardest to record and send the video to anyone who wants it, but I can’t make any promises.

All is going well at CHOSA. Our class is growing in number each time and the kids are actually starting to get excited about learning. We have come across one speed bump, though: Xhosa. I understand that it is the native language of the kids, but when they use it in side conversation, it kind of borders on disrespectful, simply because we can’t understand what they’re saying, and they know it. My teaching partner and I have decided that we won’t ban them from using it, as it is their language, but we are making it a rule that if they’re going to use it, they have to translate for us.

That’s all for now. I’m going to Johannesburg this weekend for a field trip with my seminar and I’ll be sure to write about it upon my return. Until then…enjoy life!

Location: Rosebank, South Africa