See ya later England, back to the States I go.

Today is my last day in England, and I’m really sad. I had such a great time studying abroad here. I learned so much, met a lot of great people, and traveled too. Some of my favorite parts of this trip were visiting family, of course going to Paris and Rome but also all the trips the school provided. I had a blast on the London River Cruise and even though the weather for Stonehenge & Bath wasn’t the best, it was still a great experience. I’m also happy I got to go to Oxford, Windsor, and Eton. It was on my to do list to visit Oxford University, and it was everything I hoped it would be. I learned a lot in my class and now have a greater appreciation for psychology. The University of Sussex as a whole was great. I never thought I could come to like such a small school, but it did have many advantages. I loved the pub on campus, the convenient buses, everything being really close, getting to do psych studies (and getting paid), and how they made us feel comfortable here.

I learned a lot while being abroad, mostly about myself which was unexpected. I definitely feel that I reached a new level of maturity. On this trip I realized early that I had to always have my things in check, and I wasn’t going to be an exception at any point. I learned this after missing my flight to Rome and none of the workers cared AT ALL. Not after we begged, pleaded, cried, complained, not after ANYTHING. Lesson learned: I will never have such a carefree attitude about flying again. I will always read my travel documents well in advance, and always be extra on time for everything, no matter what. I was definitely worried about my ability to mange my money. I’m not the best when it comes to money. I have money one second and the next second I wondered where it all went. After I realized everything was way more expensive than I thought, I always kept up with my finances. I hope this carries over for when I return back to school. While being abroad, your basically on your own. At least at school its easier to contact your family if you need something, but here not so much. I’m glad I got to experience being soooo far away from home and having to work out all my problems on my own. I definitely feel more comfortable being on my own which is a great thing. I also learned it’s great to take time to yourself. After a stressful day or even if you wake up in a bad mood, its always a good a idea to take a much needed break and just relax. I spent a few afternoons and nights just walking in Brighton, taking time to think, plan, and just relax. It’s such a refreshing feeling and better than being on the computer. Lastly, I learned to not complain about insignificant things. I complained a lot about the weather, everything being expensive, and just meaningless stuff. I realize how fortunate I am to have had this opportunity to go abroad. After seeing the many homeless people, especially in Rome I realized that everything that went wrong during my trip is nothinggg compared to what those people go through. I feel blessed everyday that I am able to live such a great life, and I will never take that for granted again. To sum it all up I hope to continue to live life the best way I can and do away with the petty complaints, drama, and unnecessary things I have let in lately. What’s most important is to just LIVE. And that’s exactly what I’ll do.

My coach leaves at 4:00am, so I should be out of my dorm around 2:30am. I will be writing to you next from Philly, and then finally when I get back to State College on Sunday night. I wish everyone safe travels for whoever is coming home! So long England, it has been a pleasure. I’m sure I’ll be back one day! Cheers!

Location: Brighton, United Kingdom

One thought on “See ya later England, back to the States I go.

1. NATALIE EBELING-KONING

It’s really interesting to read your farewell post, when I’ve just written my intro post. You’ve mentioned a few things I’m a bit nervous about, especially being really on your own to sort out your own problems. I will take not of your flight troubles, and keep it in mind when I do my own traveling.
    Best wishes!