Venice

I know I’m slacking on the posts but I’m hoping to get caught up this week!  Let’s start with my day trip to Venice.  The bus ride was long and started way too early but it was well worth it!  The day started with us taking a water taxi down the Grand Canal and I quickly became enticed by this amazing city.  From the Grand Canal, you could see houses, the bridges, churches, and more.  They each had their own pathway right down to the canal with the water lapping on the steps of each entrance.  The buildings each had their own personal details with accents of flowers or colorful facades. 

zzVenice 093.jpg

zzVenice 098.jpg
zzzVenice 113.jpg

After we got off the water taxi, we looked at a few street vendors and quickly became enthused by the beautiful Venetian masks and the Murano glass. After walking through beautiful San Marco square, which is sometimes covered in water, we walked to a Murano glass blowing demonstration.  The demonstration was quick but something I’ll never forget.  The glass blowers start their apprenticeship at a very  young age and it takes many many years to learn even the basics of glass blowing.  After the demonstration, we were walked through the museum of beautiful glass and it was hard to believe that young men created these beautiful pieces of art, and to call it anything but art would be absurd.  I wish I could have taken pictures of some of the pieces but they were very strict about it.  After this, we went for lunch and I had amazing spaghetti and clams!  I know I’ve mentioned food but I haven’t mentioned much about drinks.  Everything is expensive.  You have to pay for water and one small bottle is often 3 euro at a restaurant.  Alcoholic beverages are usually outrageous at restaurants too, so if you’re looking, your best bet is to go for the cheapest house wine.  It’s guaranteed to be pretty good because well… you’re in Italy!

zzVenice 149.jpg

After taking a very short gondola ride, we roamed the city by foot and walked the many bridges over the canals.  I highly recommend splurging a little for a Bellini in Venice.   They’re like a wine with peach puree and they’re very tasty!  After the Bellinis, walking the city, and doing some shopping we all boarded the bus home and quickly fell asleep. 

Location: Florence, Italy

3 thoughts on “Venice

1. JULIA LOUISE NEYHART

Haha. I did half of my posts after I got back to the States, but I covered everything. Venice was really beautiful. I hope it was as amazing for you as it was for me!

2. COURTNEY ANN MUNDT

I slacked in my posts as well, and I just updated my blog from when I was in Turkey a month ago, so no worries!!!! Venice looks gorgeous, I wish it were not sinking….

3. KELSEY MARGARET ROGALEWICZ

Venice looks like it’s absolutely beautiful! It’s always a pain when you can’t take pictures, but it sounds like it was an experience to remember! Hope you continue to have a good trip!