And So It Begins.

Well here I am at Newark International Airport and this is not the way I thought I’d feel at all. If someone sat me down and said, Mike, we’re gonna put you in a giant metal cylinder that weighs multiple tons and hurl it a couple hundred miles-per-hour across that Atlantic, I’d probably be pretty anxious. And for the past few weeks I thought that I’d feel that anxious as I sat in the terminal waiting. But I don’t feel that way at all right now. Talk to me in a couple of hours and I’m sure you’ll hear a very different tune.

Airports are incredible places. The best kind of people watching. A true melting pot of Americans, Europeans, Africans and more coming for a multitude of reasons. And the wealth of emotions is contagious. Everyone in here is feeling something, and if you tune yourself to just the right frequencies, you might be able to sneak a peak into the life of a stranger. 

Regardless, if there’s one thing that being in an airport reminds me is that human’s no matter what color, size or gender are really all driven by the same things, good or bad. Hunger, love, greed, acceptance, friendship and so on. This is sometimes unpleasant, but I think it is always comforting. 

But I digress. This is awesome, I’m gonna go and find some food for my backpack just in case I get myself into a Cast Away situation. 

And so it begins. With the addition of a two-week trip through the south of Europe accompanied by my brother, so begins my journey to the other side of this rock. 

Location: Newark International Airport