Oh Hey There, Oaxaca; Or, How I Ate a Cricket

So this past weekend, we traveled as a group to the State/City of Oaxaca (that’s Oh-Hah-Kuh to help you guys out). Let me just say: it was incredible.

Oaxaca1Oaxaca2We visited archaeological sites, like Monte Alban and Mitla, where the Zapotec tribes thrived way back in the day. I may just be a total nerd, but to walk through places where entire civilizations once reigned was just an amazing experience. Seeing the amazing buildings they constructed, the carvings, and just the views was lovely

.

Oaxaca3El Arbol del Tule was another of our stops. It is a tree that is over 2000 years old, which is breathtaking to try to imagine. Its trunk is gnarled, and you can find images of all kinds across the 119-foot diameter (which is wider even than the sequoias).

We also visited a whole bunch of little “f�bricas,” or factories, but they were NOTHING like what the word “factory” conjures. They were mostly family-run businesses, where traditions of how to craft the particular good have been past down generation after generation. We visited f�bricas for Alebrijes, small and intricate wooden animal sculptures that are crafted by hand only using three tools; Barro Negro, black clay that has a very particular process; Tajetes, the carpets and textile crafts dyed and loomed naturally; and Mezcal, which is a cousin to tequila but distilled very differently (and pungently).

Oaxaca4Oaxaca5 

Oaxaca6

Oaxaca7Oaxaca8Downtown Oaxaca, Zocalo, was filled with market (where I bought WAY too much), vendors, restaurants, and mariachis. Nearby was Centro Cultural Santo Domingo, a convent-turned-museum, which was beautiful inside and out. The streets themselves were just filled with colors!Oaxaca9

The comida, or food, of Oaxaca is very distinct, as well. It’s known for things like a distinct flavor of mole (not very appetizing) and chocolate (no complaints here)! Oh, and of course, it’s famous for chapulines aka crickets. And, yes, I did indeed try one. Gross, I know, but, honestly, the mole tasted a lot worse to me. I told myself when I signed up for this program that I’d try new things. I may not have known that one of those things would be a cricket, per say, but where else in the world would I have the opportunity again? I don’t think I’ll be tasting any more, but I’m glad I at least tried.

Oaxaca10Now we are back and in Puebla, already beginning our first full week of classes. It’s good to be “home,” but Oaxaca was certainly a place I’ll remember for the rest of my time here and the rest of my life!

Location: Oaxaca, Mexico