Group Tour of Paris and meeting my host family

The day is finally here! The day I get to meet my host family and see a glimpse of Besan�on . Today I got on a train from Orl�ans to Paris with my uncle, sister, and his wife. The train ride was only an hour.We headed to Gare de Lyon to meet up with the rest of the students who were also going to Besan�on . We all met in the “consigne”, which is where the train station stores people’s luggage until their train train arrives, at 9:30a.m. The group toured Paris until 16:30 (4:30p.m). On our tour of Paris we visited the Notre Dame de Paris, La Fountaine de Saint Michel, and we saw a nice view of La Tour Eiffel. We had lunch at a local sandwich shop.

IMG_0098.jpg 

At 17:28(5:28p.m.) we took the TGV to Besan�on. The train ride was about four hours. After arriving at Besan�on, I gathered my extra heavy luggage and headed out the train to meet my host family. Since my bag was one of the biggest, I was the last off the train. My host family recognized me right away. They greeted me with Salut Joanne! Bienvenue Besan�on. (Hi Joanne! Welcome to Besan�on.) They greeted me with a handshake. I thought that they would greet me with two kisses like the French usually do, so that was really shocking to me. I waved goodbye to the other students and my professor and headed to their car. My host car carry my huge 50 pounds bag the whole way. I found that so nice.

In the car they asked me about the trip and if I was too tired. When we arrived at their house they showed me my room and the bathroom that I would be using. They gave me 15 minutes to get settled in while they prepared for dinner. I was really nervous going down the stairs for dinner. I wasn’t sure what to expect and how well they would be able to understand my French. We all sat down at the dinner table: my host mom, host dad, their son, and I. Our dinner conversation was very casual and easy to follow. They introduced me to their son and brought up information about me that I didn’t expect them to remember. They brought up my majors and asked me what are my future plans involving them. They also brought up my birthday (July 23rd) and commented how their son was also born on the 23rd, except in June. They continuously complimented my French and that in turn made me less and less nervous. Their friendliness and openness overpowered my nerves. It was an amazing first night with them.  

Location: Paris, France and Besançon, France

2 thoughts on “Group Tour of Paris and meeting my host family

1. JULIA LOUISE NEYHART

That sounds so great! I spent a day in Paris, but I didn’t get to do all the great things: climb the Eiffel Tower, tour the Louvre, go in the Notre Dame, etc. You are so lucky that you have the time to do all that! Have fun!!