Easter Weekend

Last weekend, April 22 and 23, I went to Normandy for two days to see the D-day beaches from WWII. Once again, a travel story…

I talked to the people at the hotel that I was staying at and told them that since I had class on Thursday until 6 I would be taking the 8:30 train and wouldn’t get to the hotel until around 11. This time I made it on to the train without a problem, yet for some reason we had to stop about an hour into the trip and wait for 30 min. So I had to call the people at the hotel and tell them that I was running half an hour late. Then when I finally got to the train station I had to call a taxi cause Bayeux, the Normandy town I stayed in, was not very big. I ended up getting to my hotel around 11:45.

The room was cozy.  I had a bed, a sink, and a shower. Since the owner didn’t speak any English I finally got a chance to use all my French skills. The only time they failed me the whole weekend was when she said I could have a en-suite bathroom for an extra 10 euro a night. I found out that in French, not my translation to English, this means you have your own shower and sink but not your own toilet. I managed though. The hotel was more of the type of inn you read about in medieval novels. The bottom of the hotel was a bar/caf� and you walked up the stairs in the back to get to the rooms. This was how all of the hotels seemed to be this way in Bayeux, it was very cute.

cozy b.JPGIn the momuseum b 2.JPGrning I woke up early and went to go see the Cathedral in Bayeux and then headed over to the tapestry museum to see the famous Bayeux Tapestry that tells the story of William the Conqueror. Then I got a sandwich and chips and sat by the river and ate lunch. Next, I headed to the train station to catch my tour to the d-day beaches.

I saw Point du Hoc,

point d hoc.JPGpoint d hoc 2.JPG Omaha Beach,

omaha.JPGomaha 2.JPGomaha 3.jpg

the American Cemetery,

cemerety.JPGcemetery 2.JPGand the site of old German machine guns that were never used or destroyed.

gun.JPG

That night I had dinner by the cathedral then I got ice cream and walked up the river towards the north.

The next morning I woke up and went to see the Normandy WWII museum,

battle museum.JPG the British cemetery,

british cemetery.JPG and the journalists memorial walk.

memorial walk b.JPGThen I went to a late lunch at a little place on the river and waited to catch my train back to Paris.

cute restaurant b.JPGriver b.JPG

On Sunday I went to my friend Meline’s boyfriend’s house and him nad his friends had a bar-b-que for Easter. Even though my French isn’t very good and they didn’t really speak English at all I had a great day and I met some Parisians who I actually enjoy spending time with. We ate hot dogs, hamburgers, and chicken fries.

Location: Bayeux, France