First week of student teaching

When I heard that we would be getting four weeks of student teaching practice in Sweden, I didn’t expect that we would really be doing anything other than observing, and possibly not understanding a thing as the schools are entirely Swedish speaking. Well, I was wrong in both cases. 

First of all, myself and my friend Kaila were placed in the same school we observed in February, Torpaskolan, only three blocks from the university. Secondly, we were placed with the same teacher, Lasse, who is an extremely talented teacher. Thirdly, we taught on the SECOND DAY! The first day of school was a “football” (soccer) tournament, so we spent most of the day basking in the sun, watching the kids play soccer, and checking out the cute professional soccer players who came in to help :). The second day, however, began our teaching practice. We are in a fifth grade class with 19 students, all of whom are extremely anxious to learn and just fantastic kids. We taught the english lesson on Tuesday, and ended up having an extremely successful day! The next few days we were able to teach more, bond with the kids, and experience some amazing Swedish schooling! I am completely in love with my school, and this experience in making me want my own classroom more and more!
To add to all of the excellent teaching, I also found out that I passed my Swedish exam, and am able to understand most if not all of the lessons taught in Swedish! It truly has been incredible!
Things to look forward to in teaching practice: An overnight camping trip with the kids next week, a talent show, open-school day for parents to come in, and more teaching practice! 
Until next time, peace love and TORPASKOLAN!
(PS: we even taught the kids: WE ARE… TOR-PA!… THEY LOVE IT!) 

Location: jonkoping, sweden

One thought on “First week of student teaching

1. MELISSA IDELLE DOBERSTEIN

Kristen,

That is so cool and congrats on the Swedish exam…can’t wait for you teach me!